Opportunities in other countries with a BLA from the U.S.?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE Opportunities in other countries with a BLA from the U.S.?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Emily Struthers
    Participant

I am considering exploring job opportunities in the U.K. and wanted to better understand the expectations and opportunities for someone (me) who has earned their undergraduate degree in Landscape Architecture. I graduated magna cum laude from the 5 year degree and obtained a minor in environmental science as well. I have internship experience at both a small Landscape Architecture Company and at a City Urban Design Center. I am also LEED Green Associate certified. 

My question is, how do my qualifications compare with what is expected to gain employment in the UK? What additional steps would you advise I pursue in order to be competitive in the UK market?

If you have experience with any other countries, I would aslo love to hear your answers!

Stephen Lovering
    Participant

Hello, In the UK you study for a 3 yr batchelors degree, then you have a year out (in theory, if you manage to get a job) and then go back for your post grad. Once you have done the 4 yrs of study you work for 2 yrs in an office and then you can become chartered LA after passing an exam (LARE possibly). There is no work there right now i dont believe but i believe the London area to be the best for work generally. The Landscape institute website has all the info you need, its the uk’s professional website. Good luck mate, if i were you i would look at going to one of the “new countries” Australia, NZ for example as the uk has no money right now.

Matthew Cool
    Participant

The UK government is aggressively trying to reduce the number of international workers in the UK, and while there are jobs in London, it would be very difficult to get a visa. Basically UK firms (even the big ones) will take a less experienced brit because right now it is too expensive and time consuming to get a higher qualified foreigner. But that being said I would still give it a shot! Good luck.

Emily Struthers
    Participant

Thanks for the response! So it sounds like my BLA would be the same as the 3year degree? And therefore, I wouldn’t qualify for a job requiring post grad. The reason I was looking at the U.K. was because I saw a posting through a large international firm that had an opening in the U.K. but not in the U.S. A few months ago I looked up jobs in Australia but did not have any luck finding openings. Do you know of any good resources for finding LA/ Urban Design entry level jobs in Australia or NZ? That would be awesome.

Emily Struthers
    Participant

Thanks for the info! Really, I’m just starting to consider working abroad and figuring out what sort of opportunities might exist for me. At this point, I’m open to anything.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register