PC vs MAC

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Laurent Paméla
    Participant

I am a PC user considering to switch to MAC. Would appreciate any advice, pros and cons and minimum configuration needed for to run cad, graphic and 3D programs?       

Laurent Paméla
    Participant

Thanks Henry! As far as min. configuration… what is your advice?
    Many thanks for your time.

Laurent Paméla
    Participant

great info Henry… do you run any 3D software like sketch-up pro?

Laurent Paméla
    Participant

Got it!… many thanks Henry   

nca
    Participant

PC.

Youre paying for the brand with a mac. You get a lot more horsepower with a comparably priced PC. 

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

Agreed. Stick with Win7 and you can get a much better machine for much less money. Plus, they are much easier to upgrade.  

nca
    Participant

Depends on whats under the hood so to speak–I run a custom machine–win 7 64bit, 16 gb ram, nvidia graphics, core i-7 processor, etc. Also a SSD will make a big difference in a PC. From what I understand this is the main difference hardware wise between a mac and pc–its a $75-150 upgrade.

ida
    Participant

Autocad is available for Macs, no need to run Windows anymore. I recommend the more expensive Macs with a dedicated graphics card, you’ll need it for any 3d work.

ida
    Participant

I also have a PC I’ve built myself, and it cost me a fraction of a Mac. Computers crash when it overheats, so if it is properly cooled, it should be ok.

Macs are great because they’ve engineered the heck out of it and support is as simple as going to the Apple store. PCs are a hit or miss. Unless you build your own machine and know what you’re doing, get a PC and save a bundle, if not, get a Mac.

Laurent Paméla
    Participant

i appreciate your feedback!  

Laurent Paméla
    Participant

i appreciate your feedback!

Laurent Paméla
    Participant

thanks for your input!

Alec Johnson, PLA
    Participant

I have a PC at my regular gig but prefer a MacBook Pro for my consulting work, which I do out of my home and a co-working space. I use AutoCad for Mac and Sketchup Pro for drafting and modeling. Artlantis and Phtotshop for 3D renderings. My MacBook has been able to handle all this and I can transfer drawings back and forth from PC with no issues. I have Revit installed on the Mac as well using Parallels on Windows 7. Use this occasionally for working with others models. 

Here’s the specs…

Processor  2.6 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory  8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics  NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

Laurent Paméla
    Participant

Alec – Quite impress of the MacBookPro performance!!! any lag time and/or performance issues when using SU pro. with 50 MB + size model?     

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register