Planners face new competition for their jobs

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Planners face new competition for their jobs

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Roland Beinert
    Participant

I thought this was kind of funny: http://www.theatlanticcities.com/commute/2012/07/mapping-tokyos-train-system-slime-mold/2679/

Transportation planners are doomed to have their jobs absorbed by slime molds! 

landplanner
    Participant

Roland:

I am not commenting here on your forum posting, I will read that later. I am giving you an early tipoff to a job prospect that seems to be right where you are right now, as in a graduate pre-landscape architect designer.

This is an international consulting firm with a major presence in both the Middle East and China. They are very selective in who they engage in even the beginning of consideration for a position with them. Nevertheless, this could be a great opportunity. Before the hundreds or more who read Land8Lounge get ahead of you and apply for this opportunity, I suggest you get on the horse and ride this for all its worth.

https://atkinsglobal.taleo.net/careersection/atkins_corporate/jobdetail.ftl

In case this link does not work, the position is with Atkins Global, Middle East, Qatar specifically and for Graduate Landscape Architects to work on the FIFA World Cup Soccer event and everything it brings with it in the way of public improvements, from stadiums to visitor facilities to parks and streetscapes. Not a bad gig if you can get it.

If your one of the fortunate few that do, please follow this advice garnered from a few colleagues of mine who have practiced in the Middle East:

• Be prepared to work your ass off for far better pay than you can get in the States right now
    • Get the highest SPF sunscreen you can possibly find.
    • Only drink anything that contains alcohol in private
    • Do not poke the veil of any Arab woman (innunendo fully intended)
    • Make sure that that they pay for at least one roundtrip to and from so you can have a vacation somewhere along the way (probably in Europe) to temporarily restore you sanity and outlook on life.

Take it from there amigo.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register