Plant Characteristics exam at LSU

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Plant Characteristics exam at LSU

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I’m going to be taking the Plant Cahracteristics exam at LSU this coming June to get my license in LA in Louisiana.  Has anyone taken this State exam that can give me any tips/info on it?

Thanks

Richard Longman
    Participant

Rob, I saw your post earlier but didn’t have any current information as I took the exam back in the 80’s. However at the annual ASLA state convention today I saw Dr. Neil Odenwald who administers the plant section of the exam. Dr. Odenwald wrote the textbook used in the plant materials course and is the former head of the Landscape Department at LSU. He retired years ago but apparently still is in charge of the plant materials test.

His text book is “Identification, Selection, and Use of Southern Plants: For Landscape Design” by Neil G. Odenwald and James R. Turner (Hardcover – Dec. 15, 2006). Undergrads usually had about 400 to 500 plants in their courses. Grads, which I was fortunate to be, had to learn only 250 or so. Identification in Louisiana is typically done by leaves.

He said that there is a one hour identification section and a one hour written section to the test. The test is heavy on native plants of the southeast. I recall during the planting design section when I took the test we were required to use 75% native materials.

In addition to listing common and scientific names you had to know their use characteristics, such as if they liked wet areas, lots of shade..and so forth.

I’ll see if I can drag up my old plant list and will send it later.

Richard,
    Thanks – that helps. I have the book, but didn’t quite know where to start.
    Most of my family is around Alexandria, LA. and it will be nice to have my license there. If you can lay your hands on the plant list that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,
    Rob

Richard Longman
    Participant

Rob, it took some time but I found a copy of the planting manual each student had to assemble for our class. Unfortunately it wasn’t in electronic format. I started a spread sheet with all of the common names but haven’t finished adding all the scientific names. Anyway, I’m posting where I am so you can start your study.
    Hope this helps.

Richard Longman
    Participant

Rob, send me an email address and I’ll send the spreadsheet file. I thought I uploaded it but can seem to see it on the post.

Hi Richard,
    My email is rob@csgd.net

I got the book by Oldenwald and am going through it – this spreadsheet will be great – thanks very much for taking the time to do this.

Rob

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register