Politics and Professional Practice – keep it to yourself or wear your heart on your sleeve?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Politics and Professional Practice – keep it to yourself or wear your heart on your sleeve?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Ben Yahr
    Participant

On one hand it would be good to be able to have sensible conversations about topics that truly do affect our daily lives, our collective future, and the profession’s ability to thrive, but on the other hand, it seems that very few people are interested in changing their viewpoints; or even engaging (listening to the other side) in conversation.

People seem to cling to their positions or pet issues regardless of common sense or rationality, so it’s probably best to keep politics out of the office.

On a related note, how about that “threatening of our personal freedoms” by bicycle sharing in Denver-
    http://www.denverpost.com/election2010/ci_15673894

Tim Zhang
    Participant

I agree, same with driving luxury cars, this contractor I freelanced for had a Mercedes, but he drives his toyota to meet with clients so they don’t think he’s ripping them off.

Tanya Olson
    Participant

speaking of disregard for common sense or rationality…..!!!!

Brian Hochstein
    Participant

(Full Disclosure: I had a candidate MAGNET on my vehicle during the last presidential election) I agree with most others that politics and bumper stickers need to stay out of the work enviroment. BUT the problem is not with the political leanings or beliefs of others. I welcome conversation with others with a different opinion.

In my opinion, the problem lies solely with the inability to debate different points of view with civility. Most politicians attack or immediately goes on the defensive. People lash onto insignificant facts that don’t matter. They never take a long view. Our politicians continue to go ever more negative and the grinding sound you hear is our government coming to a standstill. No debate, no resolution, no civility and no final decisions. Talking heads and media have only aided in making the process that much more negative. I am paraphrasing Representative Emanual Cleaver II but “Would you tell your children or the next generation of leaders to watch CSPAN to learn how to effectively debate a topic and come to a solution? No one would.”

So until civility returns (and I don’t believe it will) I will refrain from discussing politics at work and keep my activism on my private time.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register