Positive experiences?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Heather Smith
    Participant

I just thought it would be nice to hear of any positive experiences regarding the profession that people would like to share. I certainly hope there is a nice list! I thought of this when I read that someone has had a phone interview and another scheduled next week…yay!

Lets see…my positive contribution? My husband may have some residential design work in Western Washington…and he is partnering with a wonderful firm to put in a proposal for a sustainable design project.It will be great if he gets it but either way the experience of helping to draft the proposal and meeting some excellent professionals is hopeful.

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

My most recent positive experience?

I was out of work for 90 weeks after taking up employment with the firm I interned while studying for my MLA.  I applied to every LA firm in the country in every state (even the ones where my far left political views would be less well received than normal).  Finally, I pretty much gave up looking for an LA job… until I had seen one posted on the ASLA website with a firm less than 1/3 mile from my apartment.  Since I live in upstate NY, there are really less than a handful to begin with, so this was looking to be too good to be true.

I printed my resume, created a DVD with my portfolio and even a business card with my contact info and website address on it… walked over and told them I wanted the job.  I interviewed and it went well, I fit their professional needs and they fit mine, plus I got along very well with the current employee’s…  two weeks later while on my honeymoon I found out I got the job.  Since then, I have been doing what LA’s do, and it has been great.

Theodore Tegen
    Participant
    mark foster
    Participant

Congratulations Jon, and I’m glad things are looking up for you guys, Heather

From the small business-owner side of things (residential/commercial): 2010 was a pretty good year–a livable profit and a few portfolio pieces.. 2011 looks better.

Overall, clients seem more comfortable with “where they are” financially, and are ready to spend again. Maybe not as many as before, but the ones who are in the market are very seriously interested. Signs of life  in home renovations (huge pent-up demand there), new ’empty nester” housing (small but high-concept and intense), and outdoor retail/healthcare spaces.

Still a bumpy road to be sure, but cause for cautious optimism. 

Heather Smith
    Participant

That is fantastic! Congratulations! 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register