Private Space Gone Public at Wall Street

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Private Space Gone Public at Wall Street

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Heather Smith
    Participant
    Jason T. Radice
    Participant

It is kind of interesting how these parks worked in the past and what developers agreed to do for a a couple thousand extra square feet in a building. There are MANY private parks in NYC attached to projects, but I was unaware that the public access had to be left open 24hrs. Most aren’t open past dusk, and are patrolled and LOCKED at night. That little nugget may pertain to this particular park. Even though this was done many years ago, this has been working on a larger scale as well in more recent times. Take Millenium Park in Chicago. That is a public/private partnership. It is a publicly accessible private park with it’s own security patrol and private maintenance. It works because it is kept so well, and the “issues” that come from publicly owned parks are almost nonexistent because they are allowed to be removed and taken care of.    

Heather Smith
    Participant

Yes, I thought it was really interesting too. I would like to see how it is being used…it would definitely be an interesting study.

ida
    Participant

This is quite interesting. A letter from an attorney representing Occupy Wall Street to Brookfield Office Properties, the owners of Zuccotti Park regarding the eviction notice a few days ago.

http://www.democracynow.org/blog/2011/10/13/showdown_at_occupy_wall_street_protesters_fear_eviction_is_imminent

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register