Projects on the Western Seaboard

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Edward Gates
    Participant

Hi,

I work with three other talented landscape architects and are looking to expand the business into overseas markets. We are based in New Zealand, the South Island to be more precise. The practice has been operating for 29 years and is well established with a folio of projects ranging from residential, commercial, land reclamation through to planning, urban design and landscape assessments, thus we cover most aspects of the profession. At present we are working on master planning projects in China and Mid East.

What we would like to do at this stage though is to turn our sights to the US primarily for two reasons. Firstly because it’s the home to Land Arch and second because as the profession has a higher and more revered profile the standard of clients and projects are higher and more demanding.

At the moment we are focusing on the western sea board (no offence to other regions) primarily due to flight availability and travel time.

Therefore if anyone is interested in either teaming up, sub contracting or considering a joint office parternership I would be very interested. In addition it may be possible in the future to organise an exchange of staff as we have done in the past, should things blossom.

Blossom! well it is spring here…

Ed Gates

Lisa Town
    Participant

Who is “we” ? What is the name of your company? Do you have website and project portfolio? What has been your experience with the west coast to date?

Gabriel Hydrick
    Participant

Ed
    Likewise I am interested in the details of your venture. A professor of mine is from New Zealand, Grant Reid (FASLA). I know he has been down there for the last few years after his retirement. If you happen to know him you can use him as a reference. Do you have an email to send some work samples to and/or a website for your contact info and portfolio?

Brief biographical sketch: originally from CA, Fluent in Spanish (lived in Puerto Rico for two years), BS in Landscape Design/Build, 9 years in-field experience, 5 years experience in a LA firms, designed landscapes in Northern California (valley and mountains), Southern California (also lived in So California), Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado and Idaho.

I would be interested in speaking with you further regarding any opportunities and more details. Thanks!
    Regards,
    Gabriel

Edward Gates
    Participant

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for your reply.

The firm is called CGLA and we don’t have a website – yet. At this stage I am putting together an interim one which has a variety of projects on it.

We haven’t worked in the US before but have worked with Patrick Curren of SWA on a competition entry in Christchurch and remain in contact.

I think the venture will be a challenge however the possibilities are endless.

Regards

Ed

Edward Gates
    Participant

Hi Sean,

Thank you and Gabriel for your offer of assistance regarding contacts.

At the moment I’m putting together a temporary website of the business which will show the type of projects we do and other aspects of the business. It should be completed by the end of the week.

Historiclly the firm started out as a planning and design practice and built a reputation for this type of project work. Over the years however due to changes in national policy relating to land stewardship the business has gradually increased its profile in the field of landscape assessment, reports, presentations and providing expert evidence at court hearings which has perpetuated its-self to the point where the amount of design work we get has decreased significantly over the last two years.

From a business perspective assessment work is a reasonably lucrative market and one that can continue to be sustained given our expertise however as landscape architects more interested in design and planning we consider this type of work to more fulfilling and overseas markets to be more attractive and hence the push overseas.

With regards to a new venture do you have anything specific in mind?

Kind regards

Ed Gates

Edward Gates
    Participant

Hi Gabriel,

My apologies for not replying sooner.

Thank you for your reply and as I said to Sean I think there are a lot of opportunities as the world gets smaller and access to information is readily available.

I understand Grant lectured at Lincoln University recently. Lincoln is on the outskirts of Christchurch. I’m more familier with his book ‘Landscape Graphics’ produced several years ago. I believe he lectured at Ft Collins?

I’m reasonably familiar with Colorado as I lived and worked in Denver and Winter Park in 1986, 1988 and 1994, the latter for only a few weeks. It’s a beautiful State.

With regards to contact details my own email address is edgates65@hotmail.com and my work address is ed@chrisglasson.co.nz. I am putting together an interim website of the type of work we do here which all going well should be up and running by the end of the week.

The senior partner of the firm is currently at the ASLA conference and is due back this weekend. In the meantime I’ll stay in touch and let you know whats happening.

Kind regards

Ed

Boyd Coleman
    Participant

It’s funny you say that Brian…I was thinking the exact same thing. And then another guy in my department and I were shooting the breeze the other day and mentioned we should look at doing some work overseas due to the fact that work is slowing up here. Seems they aren’t immune to it either.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register