RLA to RLS?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Bret Ford
    Participant

Anyone know of a landscape architect that became a surveyor?  Specifically, I’m curious if a bachelor’s degree in landscape architecture is considered a “qualified related field” to satisfy the degree requirement to sit for the LSIT exam.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

I know a RLS who got a Master’s in LA from Harvard GSD, but that really does not matter.

Land Surveyors are required to know more than just measuring land and drawing plans. The biggest void that an RLA would need to fill is in the legal end of things especially to do with land ownership and title.

I’ve worked twelve years in small civil/survey offices unde four RLS’s as the primary all purpose support staff person. In the last five years I have had to opportunity (not fun) to work on a lot of old title properties. Many have been listed on the assessor records as “land now or formerly owned by ….” people who have benn dead as long as two hundred years. To make a long story short, RLS’s are required to know a lot of land law and are tested on it for licensure. I don’t know about you, but I surely got next to none of that in school.

You might be able to sit for an LSIT exam, but you’ll need at least 4 years of internship for an RLS before sitting for an RLS exam by the looks of it.

Here is a link to your state’s requirements:

http://sos.georgia.gov/plb/pels/require-ls.htm

Bret Ford
    Participant

I’ve already reviewed Georgia’s requirements via the SOS website, which is what prompted my question.  Thanks for the reply, though.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register