RLA vs. ASLA

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Rico Flor
    Participant

An international contribution to this chatter….PALA members are RLA’s. This is mandated by law in the Philippines (RA9053); RLA’s are automatically included in the PALA roster, the only accredited professional organization for LArchs in the Philippines. I also heard just recently that, by law, the architects’ scope of services has finally taken out landscape architecture from its scope of service. Will verify further. This might help if you’re dealing with LArch applicants from the Philippines.

Happy Earth Hour, everyone. Hope it was very dark!

Barbara Peterson
    Participant

Me too: I use both “RLA, ASLA” behind my name to designate that I am registered with the state and that I am a member of our prof. organization (although there are folks out there that don’t know what ASLA is). I do not sign drawings in our office but I think that it helps my credibility when other consultants realize that I too am a registered professional.
    With regard to signing drawings and specs: when our principal signs those documents and they are typically sealed at the same time (no signing without the seal)….that seal contains ‘her name and state registration number’, the words ‘registered landscape architect’ and ‘ state of Texas’. The seal is very clear that she is registered with the state.

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

I’ve got both on my business cards, RLA first, then ASLA, followed by LEED-AP. Like others have stated, you can be ASLA without being registered. I used ASLA before I got my license, but that was back in the days when you could transition right from assoc. to full ASLA when you got your degree. To this day, if I see only ASLA, I assume you do not have a license. When sealing, I use neither, the stamp itself takes care of that. I think it is important to first designate where you are in your profession, and kind of ‘show off’ your professional acheivements, you worked hard to get them. Because of the qualifications to get ASLA, it is worth only so much, the RLA, adds even more credibility. When ASLA only grants the full membership to license holders (like AIA), then I would only use ASLA. Use both in professional. One thing I have not seen is the use of CLARB. Many architects in my office have NCARB, which is like our CLARB records, it makes it easy to get reciprocity. I’ve never seen it for LA’s. I guess CLARB records are just too expensive, which is why I don’t keep one.

Chad Crutcher
    Participant

After reading the thread since my posting yesterday, I have to admit that Andrew’s point sticks. That conclusion begs the question…what is a palatable approach to pressing for change? Will alienatation of those proposed to be excluded be too great a price? Jason’s point about AIA reinforces Andrew’s, and since I do not know if AIA has always been that way, though I suspect so, I have no reference or insight into the political battles and damage done by such a shift within a professional society. Some of you may recall the old ASLA/AILA rift, but that was resolved and the groups merged…and both represented licensed and non-licensed in the profession.

I am a relative newcomer to this site, and am so happy to have found an accessible source for intellectual exchange vis-a-vis our profession! It is stimulating and thought provoking and I am pleased to see ongoing discussion on so many relevant issues.

Yes, I have an issue with it as well.
    One way to solve it is to require people to be licensed before becoming full ASLA members. AIA does this, and it eliminates the confusion on what AIA stands for when you see it after someone’s name.

Of course, licensure is not a nationally recognized thing in our profession yet, so inevitebly there will be people who live/practice in states that have no need to obtain a license, but want to be a part of ASLA.

Lara Rose
    Participant

I agree completely – I’ve worked with a number of experienced architects and planners who all assumed that “ASLA” means that that person is licensed. I wish that ASLA would get its act together so that all licensed LAs could use the same letters and have them mean something- this would strengthen the impression of the profession among our architect/ engineer peers as well as the general public. There is already enough confusion about landscape architects vs landscape designers, without ASLA adding ambiguity to the issue.

James Couillard
    Participant

My job position/title is “Landscape Architect” so on business cards and stationary where the title is shown, I only use ASLA.

When I am signing and sealing plans and other documents the license number is below my name so there is a bit of redundancy with using RLA.

Outside of the workplace, depending on the audience, RLA is used to emphasize my abilities and ASLA to promote the profession.

Keven Graham
    Participant

ASLA is a professional association and RLA denotes registration. Note that these are two completely different things. And depending on the state you may be registered or licensed in you need to verify based on your states law and rules the proper designation. RLA may not be the correct designation in some states. I know we ran into that in Illinois and drecently did some clean up work in our act. As a member of ASLA I would proudly encourage you to use that designation any time associated with your name. If you are stating you are a registered LA include the RLA.

No the appropriate rules for your area and state.

Keven Graham
    Participant

In responce to some of the discussion on requiring ASLA designation to only licensed professionals, remember ASLA does not govern licensure across the US and abroad. You have indivdual linesure in all statees and the professional practice act and title acts differ from state to state. I think it would be a false indication to state those using the ASLA designation are licensed when the license is not the same. That is why we have CLARB designation as an option. In know the confusing part of this you in the world other than us really knows what all these things are. But unless all the states would decide to hand over the licnsure and regulation to ASLA I don’t see this as even a dream.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register