Rural City Commnunity Infill

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Caleb Harlow
    Participant

Hello,
    My name is Caleb Harlow and I a fifth year senior at Virginia Tech. I am looking for some suggestions of case studies for my senior project. I am designing a residential infill community in the city of Staunton, Va. Staunton is a city of approximately 23,000 people and is surrounded by agricultural land that is beginning to be threated by sprawl. With that in mind, I was wondering if anyone would be able to suggest any case studies that would pertain to my project. Thanks very much.
    Caleb Harlow

Bob Luther
    Participant

As for sprawl the best thing that I know of is Portland Oregon, one of the few larger cities in the US that placed a expansion boundary on a city that was not geographically bounded on three of its sides (it has agricultural and environmental open space on the three sides, and a river to its north) as for in fill are you looking for good or bad examples, newer or older? as for philosophy there is a great book The New Urbanism: Toward an Architecture of Community by peter Katz that explores a number of infills and urban projects. Not all of the projects have been successful but that is for you to decide right?

nca
    Participant

take a look at some of the projects on DPZ’s site (Duany Plater Zyrbek). Sorry, cant remember the address off hand, just google it. They have lots of small town centers and infills there with good data on the projects. You could also look at some of the graphics from my capstone project on my folio. I did a mixed use town center for a rural community of approximately 7,000. Good Luck.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register