Sights in Berlin

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Suzan Marciona
    Participant

I am travelling in Berlin, and if anyone can suggest particular places that are off the beaten track for a landscape architect that are a must see I would be grateful.  There are some amazing public spaces here and a great many trees which are unexpected even in the former East Germany.

Theodore Tegen
    Participant

It’s not off the beaten path by any means, but the holocaust memorial in the heart of the city is really something. Getting down inside the monument really gives one an eerie feeling of loneliness. Very compelling public art/architecture.

Memorial garden outside of the Jewish Museum is quite amazing.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have no idea if this place is still there, but I loved the Beach bar. It’s about .5 a mile from the Ostbanhof, along one of the remaining sections of the Berlin Wall, between the wall and the River Spree. To get to it take the train to the Ostbanhof, exit the station and walk along the Berlin Wall, within a couple minutes you will find a large hole in the wall, literally!!! The place is behind the wall.

The place has a couple floating barges on the river spree that you can hang out on, some sand volleyball courts and was a wonderful place to people watch and really enjoy the River Spree in a more naturalistic setting versus the Spree around the Reichstag which is fully developed.

Good luck,

Gerrit

Suzan Marciona
    Participant

I did see the holocaust memorial, and it’s something that doesn’t translate in photos. You have to be there to get it. My little find was a set of grass berms about 10 ft high constructed with reinforcing bars in the middle of Potsdamerplatz by the Renzo Piano buildings. People were just hanging out lying on the lawns and kids were running up and down the hills.

Also the plaza around the Daimler building with the stone pads through the reflecting pool and grass islands is pretty cool as well.

Also did a cruise through the river, and the beach bar is still there. I love the way people hang out in beach chairs along the plazas. They even had them in sand by Checkpoint Charlie.

Amy Verel
    Participant

Sounds like a great trip, Suzan! Never been there but Germany is high on my list, particularly my ancestral Alsace-Lorraine. Love to see pics some time!

Andrew Harvey
    Participant

not off the beaten track, but i found the underground library at Bibelplatz, by the opera & Humboldt University, quite evoking.

Suzan Marciona
    Participant

You’ll love it. Won’t make it over to Alsace Lorraine this trip but will definitely plan to return. Most everyone I’ve met is so gracious, and the extent of the art and architecture is mind-boggling, let alone the history. See you in Sept at the next board mtg.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register