Skateboard Deterrents

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Waters
    Participant

Just a couple of ideas that I have used on various projects: 1.) small planters along the base of the wall – keeps skaters from building up speed) 2.) exposed aggregate concrete, or paver bricks for the walking surface makes it tough to skate on 3.) utilize scoring patterns as previously mentioned.

Oona Johnsen
    Participant

Sorry you don’t like the metal work. I does blend in with site features inside the hotel. Unfortunately, there is no space to enjoy since it is adjacent to a noisy street. It does however add an aesthetic quality to the street front that never existed before. I thought the use of metal work could really capture one’s imagination, meaning it could be any shape or form, not just forged leaves and stem as in this case. In a situation within a plaza or open space, the metal pieces could be broken up for seating opportunities.

Chad Crutcher
    Participant

Yes…the trick is to incorporate anti-grinding features into the design of the wall itself instead of “pasties”; see attached pix. Note some depressions need to be wide enough to trap a board.

Bryce Miranda
    Participant

I personally think that skateboarding brings a dynamic element to the social space of the public realm. I’d rather see skateboarders using a space then it being empty.

That being said- most clients see it the other way. Take for instance a project I worked on recently. The University of Toronto wanted to prevent skateboarders from riding along benches. After some thought, we revised our benches to have a series of canters which would catch the rail part of the skateboard if they were to try to ride the bench.
    See the images. And to date there have been no skateboard marks. (knock on wood)
    Also, it was precast concrete in case your wondering.

Bryce Miranda
    Participant

Here are the images:

Andrew Spiering
    Participant
    Andrew Spiering
    Participant

This is a really slick design. Is it yours!?

Nicholas Pugliese
    Participant

What about lions? If there where lions roaming freely I think the skateboarders would be less prone to move quickly as the lions may think they are prey. Lions are also much nicer to look at than these little brackets………Let Them Ride. We want people to use and enjoy the spaces we create just take them into consideration when designing.

biancaKOENIG
    Participant

Hey Andrew, Thanks for linking me to this discussion. I do remember seeing it when originally posted. Also to answer your question about liability- I was in a SLO City Council meeting last week to obtain city support for a new skate park. One of the speakers (Founder of Vision Street Wear) mentioned that he helped to pass a law which groups skateboarders with football, basketball and other “extreme sports.” By being in that classification, then property owners cannot be held liable for injuries incurred while participating in those activities. There may be other conditions involved and I haven’t checked validity of the statement, but thought it was interesting. Did you see the two skate-related articles in the LAM January issue? That’s what reminded me to post my bro’s video…

Rico Flor
    Participant

This is quite neat, Bryce (any relation to the SketchUp entourage??). The texture that a population of these benches make presents a unique contribution to the urban landscape itself. Get the toddlers awaaaay from the corners, though. 🙂

I’m not a ‘boarder, but if I was, this’d be a primeval call to invent the “stuttering rail” or “hopping rail” move. Cinch up them wrist guards!!!

Christopher Patzke
    Participant

Personally I think skateboarders detract from a space and make it unusable and intimidating to the public. It is one more example of how our society is losing a sense of manners and is becoming “ME” centered. Now as a designer I have to find some way of keeping these jackasses from destroying private property and property that is held in the public trust. I say design a pleasant space. Prosecute the vandals make them pay for any damage.

Bryce Miranda
    Participant

Yes. We had originally designed one like this without the canting but modified it to make it skateboard resistant.
    So far it seems to be working.

Bryce Miranda
    Participant

No relation to SketchUp entourage. The “Bryce” in sketchup is much smaller than me being that I am at 2m.

Jenny Smeltzer
    Participant

I’m looking for an off-the-rack skate deterrent for a 1 3/4″ radius coping. Anyone know of anything?

Shawn W. Cooper
    Participant

Andrew, I realize this topic is about 6 months old, but I just joined the forum. Anyway, I have detail in my head that might work as a deterrent in the right setting. How about using a piece of corrugated plastic, fiberglass, or metal a couple of inches wide attached to the inside of the beveled portion of the inside of the form for a poured in place seat wall cap. Might be a little difficult to finish but would give you that scalloped edge detail to prevent the grinding. I used to use these corrugated materials to create the old ADA ramps details.

Just an idea, what the heck right that’s why we are here right?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register