Take Graphic Sections in a different State?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Take Graphic Sections in a different State?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    CML
    Participant

Hi, All.

I am posting this discussion because I am curious as to what your thoughts and experiences are on this.   Have any of you taken the Graphic Sections in multiple states?  Did you find they were different or more difficult in one state versus the other?  Are they different from state to state? 

Personally, I took C & E in Nashville, TN in June 2008 and passed C.  I then moved to Maryland and prepared for Section E in that state.  After going through the painful approval process, I have taken section E in Maryland  (Timmonium Fairgrounds) twice and have been unsuccessful.   

After taking the exam in two different states, I swear that Maryland’s version is a lot more difficult, then Tennessee’s. 

Thoughts?

I’ve taken the LARE in multiple states – Yes, the Sec. E is really tough, but it’s the same exam across the Country. Site design has gotten simpler over time – eliminating lighting and plant components from the exam. Grading is just a tough exam whether you’re in Montana or Arizona. Just keep on pushing ahead! I finally passed all five sections.

Does anyone have any info on the Louisiana State Exam – “Plant Characteristics”

Thanks

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

Yes, it is the exact same test. … on the exact same days, if I’m not mistaken. Some have other state sections as well. LARE is Lare, however and where ever.

I did take it in another state because my state offered it only once a year while another offered it twice. … and I was taking the exam for a third state which I had just moved from. Living in Mass, taking the exam in Maine, getting licensed in Idaho. What a tangled web we weave.

Tanya Olson
    Participant

you’re well on your way to being licensed in every state! now for that darned CA irrigation section!

Pearl May
    Participant

I have a question about this subject also! After failing Section E for the second time in Illinois (note: I don’t grade parking lots all day at work) I am naturally frustrated and in search of more imput/study material. Interestingly enough, Illinois doesn’t allow feedback on ANY professional tests according to continental testing inc. Does anyone know if you can take this test in another state and transfer the score into Illinois? I would be more than happy to drive up to Milwaukee and take it if I can get my redlines…

Jim Del Carpio
    Participant

Check with your State Registration board or call CLARB, I’m sure they’ll know.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

You probably could contact another state just to do a redline review of the exams that you already took. I did get a redline review in Maine ( living in MA, testing for ID, and testing in ME). It was a big help because I was repeating a graphical error which was what was killing me. I passed it the next time.
    Also look for states that exam twice a year if you are closing in on your three year rule, if you need an extra attempt.

Pearl May
    Participant

FYI Illinois is a stickler, you can’t transfer test scores into the state, you either have to take the test in Illinois or be licensed entirely in another state and transfer over the license. In a state fraught with fraud, I don’t blame them for being suspicious…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register