The Wildlife is Returning!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Zach Watson
    Participant

It works!  As we bring nature back into the city the animals are returning.  

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

Sorry, but did you read the article you posted? It’s about a study using GPS collard coyote’s, intentionally released in Chicago’s Loop, to control rat, mice and rabbit populations.

It has nothing to do with animals returning to urban areas as a result of increases in naturalized space design/planning/building.

Here are a few articles on the success of Chicago City Hall’s Green Roof and the resultant return of birds, bees and butterflies… perhaps more fitting to the title of the thread…

http://www.metrofieldguide.com/?p=82
    http://www.greenroofs.com/archives/gf_dec04.htm

Tanya Olson
    Participant

Suuuure they’re returning….to dig in your garbage can!
    Seriously – all fo the animals returning to urban areas are edge species that can thrive on the refuse of urban environments. We’re not fixing the cities. The most adaptable animals are adapting.

Zach Watson
    Participant

Haha, yes I watched the news clip about the coyotes being brought into the city to control pests, but I just thought it was a funny article about bringing wildlife into the city for a specific reason. I mean both instructors that I have right now really like the idea of creating environments in which native animals could survive to some degree within the city boundaries, it just seemed like a funny/strange story because when we talk about having animals within the city we don’t typically think of animals like coyotes.

Zach

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

Sorry, didn’t mean to get my panties in a bunch… sometimes sarcasm / humor can be lost in writing… Reintroducing animals to urban areas is an interesting subject. I suppose it depends on the specific animal. Birds of pray (eagles, hawks, etc) might be better for controlling rodent populations, including the winged rat (pigeon) than coyotes or foxes. They are less likely to get hit by cars and dig through trash. Plus it would pretty cool to see hawks and eagles nesting on ledges of high-rises and soaring over Grant / Millennium park…

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

Not so much. Who will control the populations of wild coyotes? Them things is dangerous, especially for your little rodent-like dogs and cats. They are even dangerous to humans if they are hungry. We need something that will keep there population in check. Next highest predator? Bears. Lets now introduce black and brown bears into the neighborhoods to keep the now-wild coyote population in check. We better hope a rabies outbreak doesn’t occur.

Nobody thinks this stuff through…playing god with nature always a recipe for disaster.

Gordon W. Perkins
    Participant

In Syracuse, we have a few nesting falcons twelve stories above my desk and their main diet consists of the winged rat. It is brilliant to watch. They dive and full speed (the fastest animal in the air, by the way) and slam into pigeons sending a carcass followed by a wash of feathers falling peacefully by my window. The carnage that follows is not for the faint of heart, but it is great to see a bird that was on the brink of extinction due to habitat destruction and DDT adapt to an urban environment like this.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register