Tree stump seating for Tot play area

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums DETAILS & MATERIALS Tree stump seating for Tot play area

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Kovach
    Participant

Does anyone have a source for manufactured Tree Stump Seats?  I seem to recall a comany who made a concrete version.  These will be used around fixed tables at a 2-5 year old nature play area.

Thanks

Tannen Printz
    Participant

Actually, yes!  I just got done with a lunch and learn by Landscape Structures and they will make you anything you want.  He had photos of concrete stumps in his presentation.

Tannen

Wyatt Thompson, PLA
    Participant

Check out Natural Playgrounds Company for real tree stump seats.

http://www.naturalplaygroundsstore.com/p1035/Sitting-Stumps/product_info.html

Boilerplater
    Participant

I’ll do you a notch better! A gnome holding up a slice of a log! http://www.allmodern.com/Kartell-Gnomes-Attila-Stool-8821-KTL1159.html

Thermoplastic technopolymer will be a lot easier on falling toddlers than concrete.  Easier to clean and move as well.  Maybe you can get somebody to cast some stumps of the stuff.  The gnome is obviously a humorous commentary on kitsch garden art, but in all seriousness, I’d be careful about using a heavy, rough surfaced object for kids of that age.

Or you could just get the Kartell tree stump: http://www.findthatchair.com/gnomes-by-kartell-187-p.asp

Elizabeth Renton
    Participant

I agree with Wyatt. Please consider using actual tree stumps in this “nature play area.” It seems laughably ironic that one would put a concrete imitation of a natural item in a children’s space that is supposed to encourage exploration of nature! A concrete seat that resembles a tree trunk is a much less engaging and effective teaching tool than actual wood stumps, which will vary in size, shape, texture and will evolve and decay and change in time! I’ve designed several nature playscapes for preschoolers and the wood stumps are always a hit. And you can usually get them for free!

Wyatt Thompson, PLA
    Participant

And you can usually get them for free!

Yes! NPC says their stump seats are part of a sustainable harvesting initiative, which is fabulous, but it’s not really sustainable to ship tree stumps across the country. My guess is that there is a development just down the road that would offer to give away some felled trees if you or your client were willing to haul them off. They might even cut and deliver them if they know the project is for kids. I know the real stumps will decay and the bark will fall off in weird patterns, but it would be such a cool process for kids to watch, learn from, and interact with. Not to mention the fact that the trees will probably just be burned or shredded anyway.

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

I can understand an argument for not using real stumps with kids that young, so here is one manufacturer of play equipment that might be able to do something for you.

http://www.cre8play.com/#products/nature-themed-products

Wyatt Thompson, PLA
    Participant

After my brain stopped exploding from their crazy animations…. The product line looks really promising. Good find.

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

The stuff looks even better in person. One project I had been a party to had a custom play structure by these guys. It was really impressive and very high quality.

Daniel Kovach
    Participant

Good suggestions, all!!  However (play dramitic musical theme…) this project is located on an Air Force base outside Las Vegas, Nevada.  Not too many trees being felled down the road, and we are dealing with federal specifications that are quite… specific.  Materials are not specified except for a few to be used on a wood deck to be made of composite.  Interestingally, even in this dry environment, wood products are prohibited except where specifically allowed (ie: structural lumber…)

Thank you for the different supplier suggestions!  I did find Landscape Structure and Nature Explore.

Happy Monday

Boilerplater
    Participant

Nellis AFB?  I’ve been on that base…rather dull setting, design-wise, like most military bases.  When I worked in LV, we never used wood for anything because of the way it dries and splits.  You see it on some ’70’s era houses, and it never looks good.  Resin seems to hold up well in the heat, though all of the installations I’ve seen are relatively recent.  Stays cooler to the touch as well.

Kelsey Moline
    Participant

Nature Explore –http://www.natureexplore.org/NaturalProducts/index.cfm has a variety of natural products for infant-school aged children including tree stump stools that are field-tested in a preschool setting.

Brad Theurer
    Participant

Dan,

The companies that we have used in Las Vegas for natural Tree Stumps are GameTime; Cemrock and Cre8play.

Call me if you want contact information.

Brad Theurer, RLA

NV ASLA President

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register