Trees in Pots

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Does anyone have a list of trees that do well in containers?

Thanks!
    Andrew

Kevin J. Gaughan
    Participant

I feel like I often see citrus trees grown in containers.

Blake Rothschild
    Participant

There is a short list in the front of Sunset Western Garden book.

John McCarthy
    Participant

Not sure what region you are interested in but here is a link to a list compiled by Virginai Tech. http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/nursery/430-023/430-023.html

Rico Flor
    Participant

Which Zone?

Anyways, for large indoors spaces (e.g., lobbies, atria), I know of pantropic types like Ficus lyrata, F. benjamina, Brassaia actinophylla, F. elastica, I hear (but haven’t seen) Persea americana, Podocarpus. I believe there could be medium-sized palms which could take the stress of containerized environments (like Veitchia merilli)… depends really on what’s available in your area.

I hope somebody could fill us in on temperate trees…

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Wow. Thanks for all the feedback! I found everyone’s feedback, the VTech link, very useful – http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/nursery/430-023/430-023.html

A client has requested that trees be planted in pots along a road way as a temporary installation.

Thanks!

Rob Williams
    Participant

Are you talking about growing trees in a nursery environment or planter boxes in the landscape?

Rob Williams
    Participant

Andrew, I spoke too soon when I just posted. I have used many types of trees in temporary situations. New development prior to next phase, Home showes, and anywhere else you need a temporary verticle element. Be watchfull on the tipping propensity of heavy foliage trees. Windy conditions can wreek havoc on temporary instalations. As long as the trees get adequate water, you should be able to plant just about anything you want to. Some of my nurseries have had large trees in boxes , sometimes for years and done just fine.
    Good luck.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register