Urbanization vs Counter Urbanization In Developing Rural Areas

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums RESEARCH Urbanization vs Counter Urbanization In Developing Rural Areas

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Good day everyone 😀

Basically this is what I chose as topic for my mini thesis(I’m on my third year undergrad BLA).

I would just like to ask for your opinions regarding on how to manage the flow of transfer of people without compromising the safety of the built environment and basically not ending up in a sprawl.

The site is mostly rural but developments there have already started such as the new City Hall which is already being used, an industrial park, villages, and a business center(which haven’t yet started). In my opinion it’s really far from the city proper and there’s no convenient transportation making it really unreachable for the city people. 

What do you think are the major developments that we can put there to keep the continuous circulation of people in and out of that area so as to provide now a proper transportation route?

And what is the perfect approach that we should do towards the undeveloped lands to retain the rural feel to it while letting the adjacent areas being developed?

Thank you very much in advance for your kind response 🙂

Noah Mabry
    Participant

Hi Nikko.

You have a few different points of inquiry there but to hone in directly on the last part…”retain the rural feel to it while letting the adjacent areas being developed” I would recommend looking at a talk by Shane Coen of Coen and Partners. Its on iTunesU if you search for the “Down the Garden Path” lecture series at Princeton.

I don’t want to sound like too much of a fanboy as I have mentioned this same talk in a recent post on another thread, however the firm’s work is really beautiful and addresses the very issue you are looking at. I really think that if people want to live outside the city that these projects are an excellent example of how to retain the rural aesthetic and value the context of the place in which they are built.

Thank you very much sir. I’ll check it out 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register