Virginia License Exam

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jason Granado
    Participant

Has anyone gained licensure in the state of Virginia in within the past couple of years?

I recently graduated from university with my masters in landscape architecture and I am aiming towards obtaining my license rather quickly. I have worked at a small design firm and a large AE firm while in graduate school. Although I have not hit the required three years of internship I was wondering if I was able to begin my exams prior to this. Also do we have to register through CLARB? or is it just a recommendation?  

the information on the State of Virginia license board makes it quite confusing and there seems to be no straight answer. 

Walter Norris Bone
    Participant

I would stronlgy advise to sign up with CLARB.  The licensing process is a national one and you are required to take the L.A.R.E. offered twice a year and administered by CLARB.  CLARB is a licensure database and maintains your records with annual updates. 

To get licensure in VA, you have to pass the LARE, then apply.  In VA it is only a Certification and they only have a Title Law.  Most other states have Title and Practice laws.

Go to CLARB.org and check it out, sign up and get your licensure process started.

Hope this helps.

Jason Granado
    Participant

Awesome Walter. Thank you for the advice!

Do you happened to know off the top of your head if I can begin taking my exams immediately or I need to complete the three years of internship prior to sitting for the exams?   I called DPOR this morning and waiting to hear back.

Thanks again

Walter Norris Bone
    Participant

Don’t worry about contacting any States, go straight to CLARB to start the process…..they will tell you the same.  It is a National Exam that everyone has to take in order to be licensed. 

Some states require 1, 2 or 3 years, but you should be able with the proper qualifications, recommendations, transcripts, etc.  It will take time to fulfill all the required documents that have to be mailed from your universities, recommendations, etc.

Tosh K
    Participant

I believe that you can start taking the exams while in school in VA.

CLARB registration is required for the exams as of late.

If you have questions I would ask your local ASLA chapter.

Jason Granado
    Participant

So I just spoke to the Department of Professional License for the state of Virginia and they said that yes three years of internship must be completed prior to sitting for the exams.

I also spoke to CLARB and they said that I first need to satisfy any state regulations and than contact them to proceed further with license.

Jason Granado
    Participant

this has been somewhat an aggravating experience because of the conflicting arguments that i have been receiving. What we need is something like what NCARB offers for the architects.

http://www.ncarb.org/Getting-an-Initial-License/Registration-Board-Requirements.aspx?jurisid=71

Anyone want to help and make something like this, i will gladly donate time so others don’t have to go through this process.

Tosh K
    Participant

Well I guess that’s new.  Considering the liability it’s just as well.

Leslie B Wagle
    Participant

It’s natural to want to get a license early in life, but the whole point of experience is to have it AFTER training….although some states will give partial credit for undergrad job experience. I was on a state board and new grads were always “pushing” for early admission to the exam, but it’s not just an academic training issue. There is value in life experience as well, but of course it’s tougher to acquire in some regions/ economic conditions.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register