What is this?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kevin J. Gaughan
    Participant

Does anyone on here know the technical name for this? I have asked many colleagues (architects, landscape architects, and even metal workers) and no one seems to know what its actually called. I’ve been calling it a iron bumper, but that doesnt seem right. Furthermore, does anyone know where one might find one of these to purchase stock, or are they only made custom nowadays? I would appreciate any insight!

Eric Shepley
    Participant

Could you elaborate on what it is attached to? It’s hard to get a sense of what purpose it might serve without the context of it. I would question if it is purely aesthetic or if it is a functional piece perhaps enclosing something behind it. Would be possible to remove it to look for some kind of manufacture id in the inside of it since it has some simple mounting bolts.

Kevin J. Gaughan
    Participant

Here it us just on a corner of a building. I have often seen them on the corner of entrance piers, corner of garages, and also on corners of buildings that are not seperated from a driving surface. I believe they are functional to help protect whatever it is they are attached to. I believe I took this picture while walking around philly, so removing it was not a possibility.

Eric Shepley
    Participant

I would agree that it’s something probably used to protect the corners. But at roughly 2′ tall (based on the bricks in the photo) I can’t think of what exactly it would be protecting the structure from.

I have an uncle that is an Architect/LA in the Philly area that may have a better idea of what exactly it is. His name is Rick Ragan. His firm is Ragan Design Group. Here’s their website http://www.ragandesign.com Let him know I suggested you contact him.

Josh Burwell
    Participant

my brother works at a custom metal fabrication shop, I am sure they can produce these to your exact specs.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register