What is your favorite fountain?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums RESEARCH What is your favorite fountain?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Patty Lundeen Hume
    Participant

I am a water feature/ landscape designer and I am doing some research on
    fountains + memory. I would appreciate it if you took my brief
    survey. I will be sharing the highlights of my research on my
    blog http://whereintheworldispatty.com

Link to Survey:

http://bit.ly/bJeiW9

Thanks!

Patty Lundeen Hume

Trace One
    Participant

nice question, thank you, Patty..I am really partial to the fountains leading up to the Phila Museum of Art, for one..Big rectangular bins of water going up the steps, on either side, great views, and all the little kids jumping in, in the heat of the summer..

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

I don’t think I have ever seen those working. So much so, I though they were permanently out of commission!

Trace One
    Participant

Wow, Jason! embarassing! my memory is from no later than 1990, the last time I was in Philly..they worked then! I actually ‘swam’ in them myself – tried to dip my dog in, and ended up taking the plunge. They are really an odd shape for water elements..too bad they don’t go anymore..

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

I’ve been there many times over the past decade (I don’t live there), and have never seen them working. The urns below the museum, yes, the fountains on the stairs no. They had always been drained. Maybe they were just off for the day. I’m going up there on Saturday, I’ll have to drive by and look!

Landon Davidson
    Participant
    nca
    Participant

I’m a pretty big fan of Halprins ‘fountains’/water features. Too bad we really cant design places like those anymore thanks to initiatives like CPTED…d’oh!..forgot this is a fountains discussion.

Boilerplater
    Participant

I grew up in the Philly area, and I’ve seen the ones flanking the staircase working, and the one in front in the middle of the oval. I really don’t recall a fountain at the top of the steps. I’m gonna Google some photos!

Rico Flor
    Participant

For sheer power and size, I’d go for the Dubai Fountain. It’s akin to three Bellagios side by side. And you can feel the throb (or is it a boom) every time it shoots its highest pulse/stream. A plus due to its location too (Burj Khalifa, Old Town Burj Dubai…er, Khalifa, and the Dubai Mall).

For sheer interactivity, Lawrence Halprin’s Ira Keller and Lovejoy Plaza fountains. The pics I often see have people crawling over these like kids on a Buddha figure. Unfortunately, pictures cannot convey the feel and sound of their crashing waters…sigh. By the way, does these count, cascades rather than fountains?

Finally, I’m a tad indecisive between the fountains of Villa d’Este and Shalimar Gardens. Both dainty, cute and pure (got no pumps there).

….the Trevi Fountain…if only because of my mom’s movie and song…

Cheers!

Rico Flor
    Participant

The Dubai Fountain, by the way…

Trace One
    Participant

Your mom? Who is your mom, Rico? Dona Flor and her three Husbands? (never seen that, just geussing!)

Rico Flor
    Participant

The beer’s still waiting; the answer will come with the beer. Cheers!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register