What is your favorite Landscape History book?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION What is your favorite Landscape History book?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Trace One
    Participant

I am determined to increase my knowledge of landscape history, and would be interested in other people’s favorite books on the topic…Anything, just any aspect, any book you really love, would interest me – I am thinking of buying a  $70.00 book written by two architects (Inventing the Garden) sold through the Getty, and don’t know if it is worth the money..

Roland Beinert
    Participant

I still reread parts of the textbook I had to get for my landscape history class. It’s called Design on the Land by Norman Newton. It starts with ancient Egypt and goes all the way up to modern landscape architecture.

The only other history-type landscape architecturish books I have read are about the history and form of cities: The City Assembled and The City Shaped both by Spiro Kostof. They are both really great books, and if I had to pick a favorite of the three books I’ve mentioned, it would be The City Shaped. But based on what you said it sounds like Design on the Land would be the one you want.

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

Just got this one during my last trip up to from favorite bookshop, but you can order online from them. It nice and concise, as well as really cheap.  

http://www.daedalusbooks.com/Products/Detail.asp?ProductID=83140&Media=Book&SubCategoryID=&ReturnUrl=%2FProducts%2FSearch%2FHomeQuickSearchResult%2Easp%3FSearch%3Dmodern%2Bgarden%2Bdesign%26Media%3D

landplanner
    Participant

Jason:

Wow ! I just read the review of that book from the link you provided. Seems like an incredible bargain for what it appears to contain. Thank you very much for that recommendation. Since this is about books, I can tell  you about my experience with landscape architecture and urban planning books in China. The books, typically cover a really wide range of topics from  recently built projects from China and greater Asia (of course) to multi-volume (2 to 3) books concentrating on actual plans for certain projects and significant construction details that go with each. All very impressive, lushly illustrated, and all in color. These guys will show up with a wheelbarrow full of those books and just roll into your office, uninvited and unannounced, expecting you will browse and buy. I have yet to do that for two reasons. 1) Most (not all) the books are in Chinese (surprise!)  and 2) They are really expensive averaging $50.00 and up from there. I already have large library back in our country and do not need to weight myself down while I am here, but I will order the one you recommended here.

Thanks again,.

Trace One
    Participant

Thanks, guys! Good rec’s..I will definitely be checking these books out.

Amany
    Participant

Garden History by Tom Turner , its about the design and philosophy from 2000 BC – 2000 AD

What I like about this book how its been arranged ; by highlighting on the same questions why , when, what and where of making gardens through history . Each chapter is devided into two parts , first  explain the art and social effects of certain culture on creating its garden ,and second it shows examples of its styles the use and forms .

Trace One
    Participant

thanks, Amany! that book is On The List!

Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

My fave is “The Garden an illustrated History” by Julia S. Berrall. Viking Press, NY.

it takes you from the Hanging Gardens of Babylon to Thomas Church…..very nice pictures and narrative.

it’s an oldie but a goodie…..

Maryanne Micillo
    Participant

Two Great Books:

Landscape Design: A Cultural and Architectural History

author: Elizabeth Barlow Rogers

The Landscape of Man: Shaping the Environment From PreHistory to the Present Day

author: Geoffrey Jellicoe and Susan Jellicoe

Plants in Garden History – written by Penelope Hobhouse

Steve Martino
    Participant

a few books on my shelf:

Title: The Poetics of Gardens
    Author(s): Charles W. Moore, William J Mitchell, William Turnbull, Jr.
    Publisher: The MIT Press

The Architecture of Western Gardens

Editors: Mosser and Teyssot

Publisher: MIT Press

The History of Gardens

Author: Christopher Thacker

Publisher: University of California Press

Sue Ann Alleger
    Participant

Landscape Design-A Cultural and Architectural History by Elizabeth Barlow Rogers

This is also an expensive purchase ($75.00) although is well worth the price.  The writing is wel done and interesting, the photos and plans are exceptional, and the content is well documented.

Trace One
    Participant

That’s two votes for good old E. Barlow, of Central Park fame..On the list! Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it, and am pretty much buying everything everyone listed, so far.. My retirement will be financed by selling my book collection.

Michael A. Hill
    Participant

Landscape of Man still rocks.  Clearly ties in Landscape to the larger history of the built environment.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register