What kind of background needed for habitat restoration?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums SUSTAINABILITY & DESIGN What kind of background needed for habitat restoration?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Tracey
    Participant

Hi,
    I’m curious about habitat restoration. What kind of education & experience do you need to get into it? Do you need a science background in addition to landscape architecture? An LA I recently spoke to said that most of that work is done by environmental firms with LAs as consultants. True? Thanks.

Les Ballard
    Participant

Hi,

I’d ring the human resources section – or see the jobs ads on line – for your nearest forest / game ranger unit if I were you. A good intro is always volunteering for advertised projects though. They may snap you up for a real job.

I always feel obliged to comment about conservation and restoration as words. Sometimes we need to make a new habitat more quickly than it will develop naturally, with global warming say, though some local species may become extinct at least at that point. That way, species may have a chance to survive that are moved away from elsewhere. Though a part of the coast is eroding here, for example, protecting it will be too dear and sea walls are breached to create new wetlands for birds. At the same time plans to put a boom across an estuary to prevent flooding will move birds away, as their food source will dry up. So, as one door closes … We may have no right to say what is right or wrong while people try locally, at least it may do no good, but helping with an overall plan, for knowledgeable and interested people to do all they can, would be helpful I think and be a greater weapon to fight self interest and so on.

Luv n Lite

Les Ballard

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register