What Trends will Influence Garden Design and Landscape Architecture in 2013?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION What Trends will Influence Garden Design and Landscape Architecture in 2013?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

trends come and go, they become tired and dated….

any of you remember the bradford pear trend?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I sure do. All the ones in my designs in the early nineties which were beautiful in 2000 are all broken and battered now.

Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

My observation is that designs that are understated, simple and elegant remain a long time…these usually have a strong natural component. After all, isn’t it true that about the best we can do is to imitate nature?

And don’t get me started on sustainability….

Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

Imagine what the ones I used in the early 80’s look ike now…

anthony c jefferies
    Participant

The wheel has already been invented

Along with almost everything else and if as a writer (Hemingway) I thought that nothing I did was worthwhile or as a designer I thought that all I did was operate a sophisticated rubber stamp I would give up.

I find the attitude expressed by Henry Cohen exactly the defeatist attitude that makes landscape architects slaves to trends.

Anonymous
    Inactive

They’re probably stumps with Callery Pear suckers growing out of them.

Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

yeah, they look like death on a soda cracker!

I remember having lunch with Garret Eckbo many years ago and he was laughing at all the design experiminting he and his peers were doing with plastics newly on the scene in the 50’s….I was encouraged by the fact that even some of the greatest sometimes don’t have a clue what they are doing….

I suppose that’s why we call it a practice….

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register