What’s the word on City College?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums EDUCATION What’s the word on City College?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    kVanT
    Participant

Hi everyone.

New poster here. I’d love to hear from anyone who’s familiar with the school or its alums.

The program is relatively new and relatively unadvertised so I’m having a hard time getting a handle on its strengths and weaknesses (other than being a design-focused urban program with an NYC network).

I do realize that a school’s “fit” is relative to my own interests, but I’m posting to find out about general reputation and will determine the fit myself when I visit campus.

For reference, I’ve been accepted at Cornell, Penn, UVa, and RISD. (I’m not asking about City College for the purposes of financial comparison.) If you have thoughts about any of those other schools, all comments are welcome.

Thanks!!

Tosh K
    Participant

There’s an article in Landscape Architecture Magazine on them – I know a few alumni (one in our office, some friends at others), pretty reputable (though less ‘established) and always has a few ‘star’ visiting faculty.

Tosh K
    Participant

I’m biased, but I loved UVA – good balance of technology and hand work, and a good distribution of coursework that is well taught and thought out.  They have a clear pedagogy and the faculty within the school (including planners, architects and historians) is well knit and very friendly.  

pm me if you have specific questions

Steve N
    Participant

I am currently a second year at the Spitzer School of Architecture at City College. We are a small community within the school with extremely devoted professors and we get a lot of attention from them. The program is based on the studio environment but we have many classes that supports the studio environment.  There is a lot of stress put on the urban environment and how we can live for the future within the city. 

I highly recommend you check out the school and meet with the faculty.

kVanT
    Participant

Thank you both, Steve and Tosh.

Justine Heilner
    Participant

I went to Penn and had the person who is now the director of CCNY’s program as a professor there – Denise Hoffman-Brandt.  I have sat in a few reviews over the years and know people who have graduated from the program.  I think it’s solid – innovative research and programs, good faculty and good students.  You should definitely consider it. 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register