Where to get GIS aerials and other data for Denver area

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Where to get GIS aerials and other data for Denver area

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Nelsen
    Participant

Can anyone from Colorado help me locate some GIS data for Denver? I am working on a project for my studio class and am trying to create context maps but need the data to start. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Assigned today, due in a week, and need to get 11 maps done. Help!

Jonathan Nelsen
    jdnelsen@iastate.edu

Chris Whitted
    Participant

Depends on what kinds of data you’re looking for. Places to start would be the websites for the US Geological Survey, Natural Resource Conservation Service, and whatever city/county your site or area of study is in. I’d probably try to work those sources in reverse of the order I listed, going from local to national, but again it depends on what you’re looking for.

Zach Peterson
    Participant

Jonathan,

Basic data can be found at http://www.dot.state.co.us/App_DTD_DataAccess/GeoData/index.cfm?fuseaction=GeoDataMain&MenuType=GeoData

Also browse http://www.drcog.org.

What is an Iowa Stater such as yourself working on a Denver project for?

Best of luck, GO CYCLONES!

Zach Peterson (B.S. CRP Class of 1998)
    zcarlin@gmail.com

nca
    Participant

call or email the city of denver gis dept…they have everything and more that you’re looking for, trust me.

gisdatadepot and seamless server come in handy too…those three will get you through most ANY gis project.

Jonathan Nelsen
    Participant

Hey,
    Thanks for the responses everyone…I am working on a project for my studio class which is the reason for my search. We were just in Denver last weekend visiting our site, which is the old Gates Rubber Factory at the corner of Mississippi and Broadway in Denver. Should be a fun project, but still having trouble finding a base map. It appears that data for Colorado is not as easy to come by as it is for Iowa, where much GIS data is shared publicly and free of charge. Also Zach, I have my undergraduate degree in CRP from Iowa State as well, class of 2007. Thanks again for the information and will continue the hunt.

Jonathan Nelsen
    jdnelsen@iastate.edu
    PS. Nick, that Seamless Server seems to have some potential, but am having major troubles figuring out how to work that dang thing. Cant seem to get an aerial image to download. Any ideas?

nca
    Participant

jonathan-

my urban design (senior thesis) site last year was approximately two blocks north of yours (gates rubber co). design workshop denver has a real project there by the way. gis and other base data is readily available. call or email the city gis dept and tell them youre a student representing your class and they will give you a password to the ftp where you can download way way way more data than you’ll even know what to do with.

i cant explain here how to use seamless, but its good for dem’s and some soils stuff and what not…all that you can get on denvers ftp. i wish i could share all my data wit you, but i dont even know where it is right now and i dont know how we’d share it anyway…could i get some kind of academic or professional credit? kidding..

part sof my urban project are on here if you want to look in my folio..good luck..

Jonathan Nelsen
    Participant

Thanks for that Nick, I did get in contact with the planning office and they did give me a password for the ftp server. Working on attempting to get some data now. Thanks again for the leads!

Christie Murman
    Participant

jonathan-

I am also a student working on a project in Denver , I was able to get a good load of information off the FTP site but have not seemed to be able to locate building footprints? Where you able to find these? Thanks!

-christie

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register