Where to start with LEED?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hello all,

I’ve long been interested in LEED certification, and it would be great for my career at my firm, but am clueless on where to start. I could jump right into the exam, but will in all likelihood fail if I don’t do some sort of prep class.

Does anyone have any experience with courses or materials used to prep for the exam? I’ve looked at AIA and ULI but haven’t had any luck with my local chapters. Which exam would be the best fit for an LA? LEED AP, LEED Associate? There are also two exam fees for LEED specialties: full exam or specialty-only.

I feel totally clueless about where to start, and I’m having trouble thinking of any colleagues who are LEED certified. Any direction would be appreciated!

I’m in Texas and just got my license in October (goodbye, LARE!!)

Tosh K
    Participant

Any number of private consulting firms offer leed prep courses (most hover around $100); for phase 1, the GA exam you only need to know the basics (but statistics as they publish it) as published in their own LEED guide.  Phase 2 are the subject specialty tests which you’ll want to study for (right now ND and NB+C probably makes most sense for LAs, they are supposed to phase in a SS one).  The GA exam is pretty intuitive.

Daniel Martin
    Keymaster

Not to be picky, but you are actually looking to become LEED accredited, not certified. LEED certifies buildings and accredits people.

Having said that, I am a LEED AP and the process is fairly simple. You can do it in one step, taking two tests at once to be an AP, or in two steps, becoming a GA first and then an AP later.

Check out this page for more info: http://www.usgbc.org/leed/credentials

You an prepare by purchasing books through USGBC, using free material available online, and also by attending online classes available from a variety of sources.

It’s a great accredidation to have. Good luck!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register