willow wattles

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Trace One
    Participant

Anybody have any experience with willow root wattles..? any suggestions, experience, etc. welcome…we are in the Ca. central valley…hot, dry, planting on a riverbank…

nca
    Participant

Trace, I cant help, but I hope someone chimes in soon..

Trace One
    Participant

Thanks, Nick! I found some stuff from a streambank reveg. federal site..still looking though – we used it really successfully on a stream in Virginia, and I just can’t remember the exact detail…plus interested in application for California ….
    🙂
    (I do always feel bad when I see absolutely NO-ONE responds to a post, but I geuss we should not take it personally!)

Mike G
    Participant

Try the US Forest Services “Biogeoengineering” Technical Reference Guide. It should be available online on their publications page.

Les Ballard
    Participant

Ask local rangers where you can buy sticks to plant or whole trees. Use stock as local as possible. If near the sea this may even be a little salt tolerant. Depending on how much bank you want to cover you can add say 9% foreigners. You could, for example, plant Britsh osier and pussy willow in with that 9% with a view to cutting back the pussy willow and pollarding the osiers at about 5 feet. Ducks may then nest on the stumos and still let you crop psier for baskets. The hybrid known as weeping willow can also be used like osier making good wreath bases. The hanging bit you trim like a curtain every year. None of these are the original and genuine white willow, however, which should at least be preent and crack willow is nice as it is the one in Lord of The Rings that opens up and lets those sleeping against it be grabbed by a fairy into that realm.

Sticks you plant in 2s and 3s to make a willow hedge, preferably hand laid, or just let grow. It is the biomass from such planting that each year gives you fuel for a power generating burner though slower ash burns burns better. You may like to add alder in boggier areas. You plant a sapling on a drained, turned sod and, once growing, will not drown. The cone bearing Alder is useful timber but gives yellow, green and red dye and may be the first kind of xmas tree from 5 millennia ago.

Luv n Lite, Les Ballard

Trace One
    Participant

Thanks, Les, interesting comments – we do not want any crack willow, although I seem to remember it did release Frodo and Sam, for some reason..Have to look that up!
    (thank you for not referring to ‘whomping willow’ in harry potter – ) … are there any willows in Sword and the Stone? Reading that now..And, Of course, the wind and the willows..Hmm..all this will defnitely influence the plantings!
    and thank you for the Photo – I love the phone booth..and the old willow..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register