Women working in a male-dominated industry

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Women working in a male-dominated industry

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    Trace One
    Participant

not logical, Craig – if one is discussing why women are not present in 50-50 numbers, and then say the timid are left behind, the logical implication is that women are timid..

women are not timid… discrimination is based on external factors (like the color or your skin). So in blaming being left behind on being timid, you are calling women timid and n ot understanding what discrimination means..

reverse discrimination is something else that many white men feel agreived by, in recent times..sometimes that is true, also – I like to use the example of the neighborhood in West Philly that Mayor Goode blew up – the reconstruction was required to be done by minority owned firms, and man was that a corrupt fiasco..

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

The stats in the article came from the Department of Labor and their Bureau of Labor Statistics…

Which, from their unemployment rate numbers, are underestimated.

Trace One
    Participant

yeah, but you are reading her interpretation of the stats..

Anonymous
    Inactive

Kick butt and bloody a few noses (not literally of course) and they’ll be hanging on your every word. Just because you’re an RLA doesn’t mean the seas are supposed to part for you. Professionally go hard or go home!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Man, you are all over the place. I can see that you have a certain agenda that keeps you from being logical. It’s obvious that over your lifetime you have retained a great deal of information (read: smart guy), but it appears that you haven’t processed it into anything that makes sense.

It seems quite logical to me when I’m surrounded by successful women who are not timid, getting what they want that that’s what a woman should do. I’ll say that as well stand behind a woman that can put it all together.

Rather than complaining just for the sake of complaining. I’m offering solutions to overcome the discrimination that still exists. There’s nothing that a person can do to eliminate discrimination that would be an obstacle to them. The word is OBSTACLE, not some insurmountable barrier. One can be greeted by a barrier and throw up their hands, pack it up and go home or one can be tenacious and find a way through it. I just think that a woman (or anybody) should do the later.

This is 2011. I’m not riding in the back of the bus and women are not stuck in the kitchen. It took people years ago who wouldn’t be denied to get us where we are today. We still have a way to go, but the hard work has already been done. I’m just trying to build on that foundation laid by our predecessors by maintaining the same attitude.

That said, I believe we share similar beliefs. But, what’s so damn frustrating is that I’m not able to get you to realize it. You get the last word because I guess you’re just not listening.

Anonymous
    Inactive

His agenda makes him do it.

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

LAs as a profession have to work twice as hard to get noticed among architects and engineers. Know your sh*t, be nothing but professional. develop a healthy ego. and build your reputation among your peers and allied professions. Be the bridge.

Anonymous
    Inactive

“Be the bridge”, that sounds very proactive and empowering to me.

Anonymous
    Inactive

After the radish farmers I was completely sold.  

I don’t know, there’s something I always liked about Hil. But I can’t argue with one thing you stated. Nice move – Checkmate!

Trace One
    Participant

@nrschmid, your fashion sense is not mine nor Joan Rivers, who gave Hiilary an Aplus for dress – I personally love her collars and her brain..condeleeza was a Bush whore, sold us down the river over the Iraq war, but she could look good – I don’t think anyone respects her at all anymore – if ever there was a token step and fetchit  in office, she was one – she actually said she considered bush her husband – gack again!

Madeleine and her brooches and Hilary and her collars get my vote over one more pretty but stupid chick like condi was – good lord, torture was started under her NSA! torture! America is now not an example to the world for human rights, because of condi rice..Just yesterday China said we have n othing to say about human rights anymore, we have no standing..

Thanks, Condi..For me, she is an example of an old-fashioned  woman, be quiet, do what the boss says, and look good. Can’t stand her.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

There are some seriously messed up posts on this thread.

Jay Smith
    Participant

Yet I find it strangely entertaining.

Zach Watson
    Participant

“It will never be a done deal.. and right now, in america today, the white men still got it and are working in congress right now,today, to keep it for themselves alone.” WOW…………….O_o

BZ Girl
    Participant

strangely entertaining indeed. some helpful posts, some not. entertaining nonetheless!

Trace One
    Participant

http:// well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/15/sexism-charges-divide-surgeons-group/?hp  

the battle over discrimination is over? don’t think so – here’s an interesting  post, also good for a laugh, from today’s NYT. Other relevant articles just from todays NYT are a new law to make sure nannies are paid like human beings (news for Meg Whitman) and another article on women trying to fight genital mutilation..

sexism, racism, discrimination, all far from over..and far from well – understood, even..

maybe when we are all half-machines we will be able to be impartial..for now, we are all way too human.

And how can anyone be surprised  by the statement that white men in congress are working TODAY, right now, to restrict the rights of women?  Look what they did to D.C., not allowing them to use their OWN tax money for family planning. Not only are congressmen working against women every day, they are working to implement  taxation without representation.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register