Won’t somebody PLEASE think about the poor children, I mean, trees!

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Won’t somebody PLEASE think about the poor children, I mean, trees!

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Goustan BODIN
    Participant

I don’t think my answer is going to make you feel any better…

Typical planter here in Bangkok streets, when any.

The trunk and crowns would usually look like a variation of that : 

Common ‘maintenance’ practice in Bangkok… 

To answer you question, here we would say something like Wyatt Thompson said above : the designer got his commission from the precast company…

Jordan Lockman
    Participant

Why bother planting trees at all?

Timothy Whitten
    Participant

And judging by the relationship of the tree canopy to the grade, they planted the trees at the sidewalk grade and dumped about 3 feet of soil on top of the rootball.  Who needs mulch volcanoes when you can have soil silos?

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

haha… 🙂

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

With this place, you have no idea. Its food snob heaven.

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

Good eye! I’m thinking they dumped a bunch more soil in there to plant what look to be seed impatiens (which they should NOT have planted this year with the disease and all). If you blowed up the pickiture by clicking on it, you will also see that these trees are STAKED. To what, exactly? I don’t know.

Wyatt Thompson, PLA
    Participant

I saw the stakes too and had the same reaction. Maybe the whole site is built on top of a parking garage and those “pots” were intended to be ventilation shafts…until someone dumped in more soil to plant pretty pink flowers.

I’m really trying to figure out why this happened. It’s not good for the trees. It had to have cost the developer more. They are spaced to far apart to provide a security barrier (and there’s nothing to protect anyway). I thought maybe they were trying to “protect” the trees, but they are planted along drive aisles, not anywhere that bumpers or doors would hit them. I just don’t get it.

Goustan BODIN
    Participant

I’d say the guys who planted the trees saw some stakes somewhere, someday, and thought : Aw, that’s the way to do it then, let’s do it too, our work will now look like the *real thing* !

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

No parking garage, its on greenfield/brownfield. I’m thinking its a maintenance issue from having to deal with the trees in the planters. Noe they just pretty much have to remulch and they are done. Or perhaps they were trying to protect the sidewalks from roots, which could have been done by choosing the right tree and properly designing the islands. I can see putting some planters in to place the annuals to keep them tidy, but not the trees. I’ll be getting more pickitures, and maybe I’ll even bring UberCamera, the next time I make a cheese run to this grocery store.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register