Workshop for MLA credit

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rebecca S. Borges
    Participant
    Has anyone taken Mike Lin’s intensive 2-week drawing workshop AND successfully had the course counted as part of their MLA curriculum?  I am trying to find a way to have this course counted as an elective or independent study course in my current MLA curriculum.  Obvious choice would be to register for an independent study, but that would require I pay the university for 3 credits in addition to having paid Mr. Lin for the workshop.  

Students successful in this regard, particular to a masters degree, would help build my case.  I’ve heard my University’s academic dean is quite a stickler and legal like documentation of precedents would be well received.

Thanks,
    Rebecca
    Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Rebecca,

Thanks for posting this question! I have not been able to attend his workshop yet, although I hope to this summer. I think you would need to talk with the director of your MLA program to get their blessing.

Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Rebecca S. Borges
    Participant

Thank you Brian and Andrew for responding.

Meeting with the director of my my program have already taken place. I now need to meet with the Dean of Education who is a bit of a stickler on university policy which precludes “workshops” from being considered for credit hours. I am looking for individuals who have successfully been through this process and the name of their institutions so that I may provide precedents and appropriate due diligence to increase the chances that my petition for credits will be granted.

If either of you know of individuals who have received university credit for the Mike Lin workshop I would be most grateful for any contact information you could provides.

Christa
    Participant

Rebecca,

I have taken the drawing course, but was not able to have it count as graduate course credit. I didn’t need the credit, so I didn’t push very hard.

However, following your line of thought regarding the independent study, if you are taking a full course load, additional hours may not cost anything more. If you are a full-time student this may work for you. You would just need to find a willing professor, and work with them to outline the independent study. I did do several independent studies, and my experience is that professors can take these on at their discretion.

I don’t know if that helps, but I wish you luck!
    Christa

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register