Dear Professionals: We Can Influence Our Visibility!!!!
If you are reading this, it means that you interact with social media.
If you are a landscape architect, you have likely bemoaned the fact that our profession doesn’t have much visibility. (If you are another discipline, you likely also feel the same way.)
I have the secret to raising our visibility, and it involves you and social media.
- Share your knowledge and experience, whether insightful blog posts or photographs of your projects.
- Learn how to share it in the best way for the online platform you use. There are ‘secrets’ to maximizing the chance that people will want to read it.
- This is the TRUE secret. Online visibility ONLY develops when people ‘like’, ‘share’, ‘retweet’, or similar. This should be your goal, and this is why it’s important to craft your content to maximize its relevance to the platform you will publish on.
- Just like you want people to help you make your content viral, you are needed to do the same for theirs!
- So… when your friends, associates, competition, LA program, students, etc… post relevant to landscape architecture… it is your DUTY to ‘like’, ‘share’, ‘retweet’, or similar.
- Elevating landscape architects (or your profession) to visibility within our social media networks is your new goal.
Rinse and Repeat
Social media and online platforms might be the first time where us professionals have some visible control over our destiny and visibility to the general public. We don’t all have to be savvy social media mavens… but we DO have to approach it knowing that it is in our best collective interest to help others around us get the word out there!!
So… get started. Share this post on your social media networks and encourage your network to ‘like’, ‘share’ and ‘retweet’ landscape architecture!!! (*this isn’t intended to be blatant plug… copy and past this post and take credit if you want. Take it. It’s free! Do what you need to do for the good of us all!)
(This post was inspired by me looking at fantastic posts by other professionals, and seeing they have a few likes and no shares… and wanting to prod people to realize that social media visibility is driven by ‘like’, ‘share’ and ‘retweet’.)
About the Author: Peter Briggs is a landscape architect who has a current preoccupation with the business of design. For more bio information, please see: www.highestexpertise.com/who-is-peter/
This blog post was originally posted at: http://highestexpertise.com/2015/12/raise-the-profile-of-our-profession/Published in