stamping drawings

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Sara Kirk
    Participant

Has anybody ever worked for a client that wanted you to put the work on their title block, not your own, and then asked you to stamp a set of permitting drawings for them? I told them I couldn’t do that for them. Also they are asking it for a project in FL and I’m not even licensed in FL, and I told them that too. They are being adamant that I should be able to stamp the plans for them (site plan, grading plan and preliminary details), am I out of line for saying no way? I think I just need to tell them to work it out with their engineer in FL that they have on board.

Dave McCorquodale
    Participant

There are a couple neigborhoods around here that require an LA seal on residential landscape plans.  An installer I’ve worked with for about 10 years asks me to review and seal his planting plans occasionally.  I’ll meet him on site, review the plan in the context of conditions on the ground, typically recommend a few adjustments, and seal the drawing.  

That’s a long way from what you’re being asked to do here, in my opinion, and if you’re not licensed in FL it’s a moot point.  

Dave

Sara Kirk
    Participant

Thanks, that’s what I’m thinking too.

Robert Anderson
    Participant

The simple fact that you are not licensed in FLA should be enough to close this Client down.

Jaime Del Carpio
    Participant

Hi Sara,

You’re response was correct. I’ve personally never came a acrosstamp would most liks a client that ask what you’re were asked to do. Anyways, you’re out of state would not be applicable, especially a for a grading plan, unless that jurisdiction allows it. When I worked in South Florida, the city/agency would only accept plans from a Civil Engineer, some or most jurisdictions in Fl. didn’t abide to accept LA’s.to stamp grading plans. I don’t know for Site plans.

Best of luck

Jim

Mark Di Lucido
    Participant

Putting your work (sub-consultant) on a client’s (prime consultant) title block and sealing the sheets that only have your work is very common. And it makes sense because the disciplines’ drawings will have consistent information such as issue dates, revision numbers, addenda, etc., and it makes for a professional looking set. The bigger reason though is it helps agencies that review the drawings, builders that need to be aware of latest changes, and the end client. The key is that you’re only sealing the sheets that have your work.

Dave’s answer might be viewed by state boards of technical registration as not quite consistent with professional registrant requirements, namely, anything a registrant seals has to be prepared under his/her direct supervision so I’d tread lightly on that one.

Of course all this is moot if you’re not registered in FL. Sealing drawings for a project in a jurisdiction where you’re not registered could be grounds for disciplinary action by your state board not to mention that the reviewing agency would bounce them out anyway.

Sara Kirk
    Participant

Thanks!

Sara Kirk
    Participant

Thanks for feedback.

Hello Sara;

I agree with the others who responded here….you did the right thing.  Every State now has pretty intense LA licensing laws and FLORIDA is very strict about their LA laws.  Having been licensed in 14 states in the past, I have always been very careful when it comes to being absolutely certain, I was designing “legally”.

I was once a Licensed LA in the State of Florida for 10 yrs., but, no longer.  My design practice is mostly here in Texas now.  However, I have a good friend who is currently a Licensed LA in The State of Florida who has a start-up LA firm that’s doing pretty well.  On some projects (depending on the scope of services and the size of the project), he retains me to assist him with designing those projects……which is legal….as, I’m actually working under him. I just have a lot more design experience…and sometimes he realizes he needs some assistance.  His name is Dave.  And, I know he’d be very interested in any additional design projects in the State of Florida.

So…..if your Florida client needs a talented licensed LA in Florida….just let me know and I’ll give you Dave’s contact information.

Sincere Regards,

J. Robert (Bob) Wainner

Sara Kirk
    Participant

Thanks, I knew FL is strict, I’ll see what happens and keep your buddy in mind.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register