Okay, so the 2013 ASLA Conference isn’t until November, so you still have some time to dust off your networking skills and make your travel arrangements. I realize conferences can be expensive and out of reach for many people, but the rewards pay off in the end, especially if you take advantage of the networking opportunities. Whether or not you are able to make it to Boston for this year’s conference, let’s think about other in-person places to build your network. Here’s a start:
- Design Charrettes
- Pro-Bono Projects
- Happy Hours (of the very best kind!)
- Community Meetings
- Local ASLA chapter meetings
- Mentorship programs (check out this post on Mentorship)
- and Land8’s own list for upcoming events
Still in school or recently graduated? You get to add:
- Classmates and Alumni
- Tours of firms: who did you meet?
- Project jurors and visiting speakers: did you make a connection while they were there?
What about online?!
- Land8 (of course!)
- LinkedIn (article on networking with LinkedIn)
- ASLA Professional Practics Networks
I’ll get to more on networking techniques in future posts, but in the meantime, look at the facets of your world and find opportunities to meet people. How many of the above are part of your life? How many can you easily add? I’m sure there are countless things that I should add to the list, so please feel free to add your favorite in the comments!
As always, thanks for reading!