A letter to Obama from Sorkin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    nca
    Participant
    nca
    Participant

I thought Sorkins letter reflected an uncanny resemblance to our recent discussions regarding the economic stimulus and land development. Reading through, there are some striking similarieties in Sorkins “5 Suggestions,” to our own discussion here, not to mention the comments at the bottom of the page.

David J. Chirico
    Participant

http://townhall.com/columnists/ThomasSowell/2009/01/27/what_are_they_buying

This particular paragraph hits home:

“In the name of protecting the taxpayers’ investment, they are buying the power to tell General Motors how to make cars, banks how to bank and, before it is all over with, all sorts of other people how to do the work they specialize in, and for which members of Congress have no competence, much less expertise.”

nca
    Participant

That statement seems as broad and unsubstatiated cojecture as Mr. Sorkins, though you have to admit Mr. Sorkins suggestions come in the form of ideas rather than non-constructive criticism. I don’t know what the message is besides that Mr. Sowell is for tax cuts. I didn’t intend to tout Mr. Sorkins suggestions as “the solution,” if that was your interpretation.

David J. Chirico
    Participant

I didn’t assume you thought his letter was a solution Nick, my apologies if you thought that was the case.

I was contrasting how an architect vs an economist views 800 billion dollars in government spending.

nca
    Participant

No apology necessary. Do you then believe that the 800 billion would be better suited as tax cuts?

David J. Chirico
    Participant

I read a lot, so forgive me for posting so many links.

Walter Williams puts it in perspective here:

http://townhall.com/columnists/WalterEWilliams/2009/01/28/there_is_no_santa

The short version is, if the government spends 800 billion, that’s 800 billion less we can spend privately. It seems so simple to me, but maybe it’s too simple.

If nothing else, I bet these forums have never been so active! I’m glad to have a place to discuss issues relevant to the profession. Plus, I’m working late, and I like the break…

Claudia Chalfa
    Participant

I agree. It’s nice to have a lively debate about these issues, with intelligent people who obviously care about what is going on.

I wonder how many landscape architects and architects are in high enough positions in government to actually discuss these issues with the people who make a difference? I always worry that the only people being listened to are developers and engineers, who love and live to build. I don’t have a problem with building per se, but as that article pointed out, we need to be smart about what we build and where we build it.

nca
    Participant

Claudia-

I have similar fears, but I also know that there are at least a few LA’s up there with the intelligence and access to make a difference, if only a small one. Still, money talks.

For everyone out there wondering if Landscape Architects have a voice in the politics in DC we do. I am part of ASLA’s Government Affairs Advisory Committee and we are very active in what happens in Congress. In fact this Wednesday is ASLA’s in-district Lobby Day were National through the local chapters have organized LA’s from around the country to meet with their Senators and Representatives about issues we are working on. We also have a National Lobby day in DC. We are working on quite a lot of issues and even working to aid in the writing of legislation. Such topics as Stormwater management, green roofs, sustainable communities, HALS, no child left inside, climate action, transportation and many others. ASLA has a very wonderful and dedicated staff that has made incredible progress to make sure our voice is heard along with the Engineers and Architects.

Please visit the Advocacy Website for ASLA sign up for alerts and make your voice heard.

Also PA has an LA in congress.

nca
    Participant

Thanks Scott, this is great news to me.

I don’t know what the future of LA would be without advocacy in Congress being that what we do is by nature inherently subjective, at least in comparison to engineering and architecture. I hope you’ve found some time to take a look at the recent discussions here. Thanks for supporting our profession and making sure we have a stake in the future of this nation.

-nick

nca
    Participant

I agree. I think it is the duty of organizations like ASLA to be sure to put the right people in positions where they can be most effective in conveying the importance of LA or at least the benefits. Aside from congress, ASLA and other organizations could be doing a better job educating the general public as well such as what AIA has done for architecture. Things like getting LA mentioned somehow on the big screen may seem trivial to us now, but I think hitting the mainstream media as much as possible could do wonders for furthering the role of the profession in shaping patterns of development and design.

David J. Chirico
    Participant

We have an LA in our office, who whenever in the DC area, will visit the ASLA office and remind them that NPR is one block over. I would like to see more marketing for landscape architecture.

nca
    Participant

Thanks David…glad to hear there are some proactive people out there. Wouldn’t that be at least a great start..LA on NPR.

Claudia Chalfa
    Participant

Scott, I am signed up to visit a local representative on Wednesday. Hopefully it will go well, this is my first time doing something like this. I’m not scripting it, I am just going to go in and be friendly and tell him my concerns. Wish me luck!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register