Are you hiring?

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    nca
    Participant

True, BUT..

The job market is a global entity for most aspiring landscape architects and designers. It is impossible to visit all or even a great majority of the offices some of us desire to work in. A lot of schools are in places that may not offer a lot in terms of employment for designers and the job market is saturated with good people.

You’re chances of pounding pavement around the college town and finding a good job in your area of expertise is very slim. I got lucky. I think it’s possible to do just as well with a very well presented digital presentation and good communication. But there’s no formula. There’s a lot more luck to it right now than anything.

landplanner
    Participant

I would agree with Artie’s more aggressive and hard-charging approach, with just one caveat. Most firms and the people doing the hiring within those firms, really detest spontaneous appearances and unexpected drop-ins.

If by some fortunate chance, you are able to ferret out the “classic” informational interview and it is a sincere not a sympathetic gesture on the firm’s part, then that is where one should focus there efforts. Find a way creative way and invite yourself or get invited.

I also support Nick in his observation that their is an over-abundance of good talent out there right now. If you need any reality check, just ask any of the few firms that are visibly hiring how overstuffed their email boxes are with those lazy and less-motivated talent banks who send in their “package-of- wow” electronically and from all corners of this country.

Tim Zhang
    Participant

Once I save up enough money this year I’m backpacking through China visiting large English-based international firms for a job until I get hired. I’m kinda tired of the recession here.

landplanner
    Participant

See the title of this discussion ? If you are hiring… or know of someone or firm that is…. this is the forum by which to disclose that !!

nca
    Participant

That’s thin ice your treading on there AG with that grammar stuff..lol. I think I’ll give LP a pass on this one because it looks like they slipped with the first.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

I felt bad fot Tim Zhang that he was personally ridiculed and thought Landplanner would get it and be more tolerant. It is an open forum and Tim’s comment is every bit as legitimate as anyone elses.

My grammar and spelling put me in a glass house.

I deleted the post out of respect for the forum and Landplanner. I think it would be nice if LP took down his response to Tim for the same reason.

Tim Zhang
    Participant

hm landplanner.. I meant to respond to artie petroni’s post about surprise visits to firms. How am I irrelevant? This is a discussion board afterall.. would you rather have everyone reply “no, not hiring”.

Jay Smith
    Participant

Artie, have you been out of work during this particular recession? Just curious. I’m all for the ‘cold’ approach as a way of reducing competition, but there are a lot of owners out there who frown upon people showing up unannounced. I used to make a lot of cold calls during the boom years, and it worked very well. But I think things are much different right now.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register