Arizona/Southwest Capstone Project

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums EDUCATION Arizona/Southwest Capstone Project

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Katy Miller
    Participant

I am going into my final semester of Landscape Architecture undergrad at Colorado State University and am contemplating possibilities for my capstone project. I can choose any type of design problem in any site of my liking, but I would like to do something in Arizona or the Southwest if possible, as I plan on moving there after graduation.

Can anyone give me any ideas of any specific site needs or current projects in the very initial concept phases that I could base my Capstone project on? I would like do it on something that incorporates new and interesting concepts that will impress future employers such as permaculture, sustainable design, increasing urban and suburban biodiversity, brownfield reclamation, waterfront revitalization, riparian restoration, urban agriculture, or something of the like.

If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Rebecca R.
    Participant

For my senior capstone I worked with a Native American reservation (in WI) on a downtown revitalization project. The governmental structure and land ownership patterns of the community posed some interesting challenges but also presented a lot of unique design and planning opportunities. It was also a tight knit community that was very receptive to ideas like food independence and and sustainable usage of natural resources. Of course, none of this would necessarily apply to all tribes, but it may be worth looking into. If your school has an extension program, they may do some work with tribes in the state. I don’t know the best way to approach tribes in other states if you’re set on working in Arizona but I’ll think about it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register