ASLA and the Economy: The saga continues….

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION ASLA and the Economy: The saga continues….

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Bob Luther
    Participant

STOP waiting for ASLA to promote the industry, if you want to promote LA’s in the green industries you need to promote yourself and put yourself on a team that competes for RFP’s and RFI’s you need to educate the architects and engineer’s as to what you can add to their team ASLA will never do that for you. The Brad Pitt Story is a perfect example did ASLA approach Bratt Pitt and educate him? give him an honorary celebrity ambasidorship to be a spokesperson? I doubt it, if he would have said he wanted to be an interior decorator but with non-animal thingys PETA would have made him a poster child for their cause. ASLA has no voice.

nca
    Participant

You seem to be contradicting yourself, perhaps on purpose?

In your opinion, should ASLA approach people like Brad Pitt, for example with an honorary membership?

Brian Hochstein
    Participant

In general just being a celebrity does not warrant an honorary membership. But Brad Pitt has funded Make it Right, a group dedicated to building 150 green homes in New Orleans. The foundation has a landscape architect on staff. Sounds to me like the staff should educate Mr. Pitt about landscape architecture. This endeavor is among other architectural donations he has made.

In my opinion, if there is something warranted, and something that will raise our profile, an honorary membership may be in order. Especially if that person is someone who, when given an honorary title will have that title splashed all over the networks for free. Even if it is only for a day, marketing is marketing. It of course has to be done right. It also hopefully allows us to educate people to say “landscape architect” instead of engineer with plants.

nca
    Participant

I agree completely.

What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

alland
    Participant

I don’t know if its ‘celebrity’ status, but one of the few ‘high profile’ people to advocate Landscape Architecture, and still does, is former NFL running back Eddie George. I have read many articles and online ASLA material featuring his efforts to raise awareness of our field. The difference from Brad Pitt, is that Eddie George has a BLA from Louisiana State University, and has dove in completely to use his status after his NFL days ended, and even prior. http://vimeo.com/5840291

Brian Hochstein
    Participant

I think Eddie is great for our profession and we should use any and all means necessary to continue exposure. I think Eddie might not like you saying he went to LSU though. I am sure it is a great school and everything but he actually graduated from The Ohio State University. He also has an MBA from Northwestern. I think he is a solid “Big 10” guy. : )

alland
    Participant

Oops, you are so right, Brian. Got my schools/athletes mixed up…Sorry, I’m a Rutgers Big East guy. My apologies!

Bob Luther
    Participant

Yes I am contradicting myself, by pointing out that ASLA does not take the steps to promote the industry, they should look outside the box but do not. Would celebrity endorsement help? it couldn’t hurt! If Oprah had a special on Landscape architecture and the role of LA’s on the Green industry it would reach and educate more people in a single hour than any efforts I see with ASLA, do I want Brad Pitt to be an Honorary LA, no, but I would like to see a little more exposure of someone like Eddie George, heisman trophy winner, NFL Star and Landscape Architect.

Noah Mabry
    Participant

This is a bit old, but I just found this article and think it might add a little something to this discussion. It’s a small counter to my previous argument about the lack of LA news in the media. However the ASLA doesn’t appear anywhere in it.

boston globe

Noah Mabry
    Participant

Like I said before, I’m not really expecting the ASLA to be the only voice to promote the profession. However, I think that an organization that so many LAs pay dues to has some sort of obligation to make an effort at least. I do think it is up to everyone to speak up on their own behalf, but it would be nice to get more benefits from them than a magazine.

I should probably add the disclaimer that I haven’t paid any ASLA dues myself for some time now as I haven’t found more than freelance residential work since I graduated in 2008.

What do ya mean Mr. Jon Quackenbush? Elaborate a bit.

Boilerplater
    Participant

Don Imus has said some laudatory things about landscape architects and I recall reading about how he involved LAs in the design of his charity ranch, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imus_Ranch but didn’t find any specific articles on my first search.

Though after his “nappy-headed hoes” comment about the Rutgers women’s basketball team, I’m not sure he’s someone you want speaking for you!

alland
    Participant

This may be ‘trash can’ philosophy, but I beleive it applies to everyone, including LA’s and our position.

‘Do what you’ve always done, and you’ll get what you’ll always get’
    we need to refocus, a revolution…

Think of ASLA as a club for professionals. It’s only value is what they can deliver of importance to it’s members. If you don’t recieve value in excess of the membership, you have two choices quit or squize the value out of it. I would suggest fighting for change at the local and national level, but that’s me. If you quit because someone else is no longer paying for your membership, maybe you were not getting value, and the someone (your employer) was not getting value. Don’t think in terms of “what can I afford”, but what does ASLA have to do so that your membership is the first thing that you pay for when the bills arrive. Make a list and send it three places. ASLA local, Land8lounge and LAM. Until they do most if not all of what you want, to make the club important to you and you pocket book don’t worry about ASLA. When was the last time you canceled your gym membership that you did not use for a year, no value to you no cash for them.

When is the last time you saw a landscape architect host a TV show, or anything else. They by their nature are in the background. Eddy George is the first football player / Landscape architect any one has ever heard of ,ever. You need to get off the bench, lead the parade in your town. ASLA can not make you a leader, and by the way your community is not waiting for some professional club to tell them how they can be sustainable, it is your job. I can say that my name is synonymous with landscape architect in my town with no fear of contradiction. Local and state politicians, not only know who I am but they know what I do. By the way I had my own cable TV show for four years during the last recession, I had the time to do it. What have you been doing lately.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register