ASLA resume posting – job seekers any luck using this method? Employers do you use it?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION ASLA resume posting – job seekers any luck using this method? Employers do you use it?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jay Smith
    Participant

Have any jobs seekers ever had any luck (lately or in past years) posting a resume on asla?

Employers – do you ever use the resume postings as a resource when filling positions?

I know of at least one person who had success using their service. But at $100 for two months, it’s pricey.

Jay Smith
    Participant

I disagree. Try telling that to the people who’ve been contacted after posting their information.

There are currenly only 63 resumes on the site. (Often only 3 or 4 listings per state). To assume that a person who posts on there is lazy is to assume that this is their only method of searching. I see it as another tool in one’s arsenol. Another way of getting exposure and increasing one’s odds.

Nonetheless, I’d like to hear from people who have actually utilized this service.

Jennifer de Graaf
    Participant

I’ve used it in past years to post my resume and been found there by employers looking.

Right now, though, I think it is a waste of money because all an employer needs to do to find tons of job candidates is sift through the pile of resumes collecting in their circular file or stick their head out the door and ask “any landscape architects looking for something to do?”. There’s just WAY too many people looking and too few hiring right now.

When the ratio is more even, it can be a good tool and spending that kind of money may be worth it. If you’re just looking for an online presence, though, I think LinkedIn, Land8lounge, Land8.net, and VisualCV.com are all better (and free), or start a blog or build a website (I admit I didn’t check to see if you’ve already done this).

I also love the job boards at ASLA events – there are ways of standing out even among the sea of beige, green,and yellow (lol) but that is a design problem, isn’t it… and won’t a prospective employer who notices the (well designed) stand out resume be impressed by it? and the ‘owner’ of that resume therefore already a step ahead?! (the answers are all “yes”).

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

It’s a great resource. I’ve gotten four or five inquiries off of it, two of them led to interviews (but did not work out, unfortunately, wrong type of office for my specialties). Many potential employers are trolling or “cherry picking” people, meaning, they are not advertising positions, but rather hand-selecting applicants. The only way they find you is through either a head hunter or an online resume board. If you are looking for a landscape architect, you go to ASLA. It’s just logical. I really appreciate ASLA making this available for free to members (for a $300 membership, it should ALWAYS be free!), and the ability to load custom resume and portfolio files.

nca
    Participant

I had my resume on there for probably a year with no emails or calls. I see NR’s point, but I also see the point in at least having a spot there for exposure. If someone sees your name on the first page there, then does a google search and brings up your website and land 8 profile they might be interested in contacting you. Otherwise, it is a pretty passive and roundabout way of pursuing a career in my opinion. If it’s free for you to post I would recommend, but I’m not sure (now anyway) that would be the best resource for getting exposure in a very very competitive field. Then again, maybe my portfolio or resume wasnt strong enough to get call back from there alone..??

nca
    Participant

agreed.

nca
    Participant

I think it all depends on where youre at in your career and whether you have ‘free’ access to the board or not.

Jay Smith
    Participant

by Nick Aceto 13 hours ago: “it is a pretty passive and roundabout way of pursuing a career in my opinion”.

Again guys, this would be true if it were one’s only method of job hunting. But as I clarified earlier, it’s probably not a bad way of boosting your odds, as a compliment to a larger, more comprehensive job search. I’m not sure if it’s worth the price though as a non-member.

Jay Smith
    Participant

I hear you Jennifer. But it only takes one firm out there to see it and become interested. I guess the way I see it is, you can take that $100 and send out resumes/portfolios to a limited number of firms. Or you can put it up on the board, and have it visible to any firm in the world who chooses to look. I just wish ASLA would give you 12 months of time vs. 2 months.

Jay Smith
    Participant

Hey Amy, yep its actually $100 for two months for non-members. A rip off in my opinion. But I’d gladly hand it over if I thought my odds were greatly improved. I agree with everything your saying. I remembered you telling me about your experience with it, so I thought a broader poll here on Land8 might be a good idea before letting them take advantage of me. lol. I’ll add you on linkedin soon, I’ve been hurrying around trying to get some new resumes out.

Jay Smith
    Participant

Thanks Jason for your open minded perspective.

Sousuke
    Participant

What do you think the ratio is right now for LAs? Nationally the ratio is 1:6 (job : seeker). I’m guessing LA is more like 1:10 or higher?

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

I just have to wonder if many employers are even taking the time to look for help. I have to think that they are receiving resumes everyday whether they are looking for help or not. Maybe all they need to do is sort through their collections of resumes for a few suitable candidates. I have to think that it shows them either more effort or more direct interest from a candidate if (s)he mails a hard copy or is targeting their firm.
    Would anyone agree that many do not take initial client contacts by email as seriously as a phone call? If so, could an online resume post be the job hunting equivalent of an email instead of a phone call (hardcopy)?

I don’t know, but something to ponder.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register