AutoCAD Cert. before applying to MLA programs?

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums EDUCATION AutoCAD Cert. before applying to MLA programs?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Darcy
    Participant

I don’t know that you would need to go to the expence of getting certified…certainly knowing AutoCAD will be to your advantage. I’d suggest beginning with a couple of classes in it at a local community college to get comfortable working with the program. You’ll learn a lot just by using it.
    Good Luck!
    Darcy

Daniel Jost
    Participant

Before applying, it will be more important to put together a portfolio of creative works that show your ability for thoughtful artistic expression. Most programs are more interested in your ability to think/design than your CAD knowledge. That said, taking a CAD class would help you once you get into the program. Many excellent schools still offer limited chances for learning CAD, believing wrongly that most of their students will pick it up elsewhere or already know it entering into the program.

Jayne Andrews
    Participant

I am a current 2nd year student in Landscape Architecture at UCLA. AutoCAD with emphasis on LA is a part of our required course work. Even with the needed emphasis on LA it costs only half of what you quoted. We have a more advanced AutoCAD program to follow if you feel that you need it. If you took both courses, you would receive 24 weeks of good training for $1,600.00. Seems like a bargain. AutoCAD needs to be used regularly to be remembered. Do you have a place to use it?

Jayne

Tatiana Jones
    Participant

I think you should, if money is not “talking too loud”. Even if you will not use CAD on daily bases, blue prints reading is a must skill for all architects.
    Tatiana Jones
    Jones Microcomputer Solutions’
    http://www.asylumgraphics.us

Tonie C.
    Participant

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rebecca Bartenstein
    Participant

I would wait and take CAD classes when you get to school. I graduated an MLA program without taking CAD and ended up taking a summer course and a course at community college.

Chris Overdorf
    Participant

No. It’s a waste of time to focus on on any one technology while in school. Use your MLA program to focus on design theory, critical analysis, creative thinking and writing/presentation skills. If your heart is in landscape architecture for the right reasons, knowledge of the technical tools will become apparent later. AutoCAD is but a very small subset of tools available to an LA. To myself there is no difference between AutoCAD and a piece of flimsy & pen. As a partner in a design/planning firm we look for people whom can think not just operate a computer.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register