BIM…?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Spiering
    Participant

BIM stands for Building Information Modeling and it looks like this is the direction the industry is going. However, I have zero experience with it and know very little. Does anyone have experience with BIM and could they tell me a little about it?

Thanks!

Eric Gilbey
    Participant

Because the understanding of BIM is less of a known entity to landscape architects, it might be easier to learn about it from architecture cad technology writer, such as Jerry Laiserin, who writes for Cadylist…see the following link

http://aec.cadalyst.com/aec/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=470080&sk=&date=&pageID=3

Keep your eyes out though, the information modeling aspect for sites (landscapes) continues to approach, as some landscape architects have already been using bim-like technology on their site related projects, and we just haven’t seen a global recognition of it as such…yet.

Ryland Fox
    Participant

Basically it is about integration of the whole design/building process. With BIM everything is contained within on e file. Instead of having a 2D file, a 3d model and external costings, schedules, maintenance documents etc, one file contains everything and everything within that file is linked so that if you change say a material used from metal to brick your costings, details, specifications, schedules etc change automatically. This negates the need to access other files and keeps everything on the same update. Theoretically this should reduce time spent in updating a variety of documents and make it easier to keep everyone from designers, manufacturers and builders on the same page. I use Digital Projects, which is a adaptation of CATIA, a parametric design software developed by the aerospace industry. http://www.gehrytechnologies.com

BIM also brings in the concept of parametric modeling which is extremely interesting. I find that it makes one consider space and spatial relations in a different way. Because everything is related it is not so much about considering single elements but instead the whole.

BIM is important to LA because it will be how design is done in the future. It will be a streamlined process where all aspects are integrated. A smooth flow if you will. LA will need to be a part of that, not a outsider relegated to the end to stay relevant on bigger projects and be part of the design community.

Sorry if that is jumbled, I think about this stuff all the time.

Ryland Fox
    Participant

Who has been using it? I really can’t find anyone.

Ryland Fox
    Participant

I think that issues 1,2,4 and 5 are basically just teaching/adaptation/usage problems that will be solved with time. Training might be an issue currently but it shouldn’t be as much of one in the future as more and more people begin to learn it. I teach it in a studio here and I know that just within the last year there is a lot more talk about parametrics and BIM.

It might be slower right now but in the as people get better at it there will be substantial time savings.

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Good find!

Andrew Spiering
    Participant

Another article on the subject by our very own, Jason King. Read his blog post.

Kevin J. Gaughan
    Participant

I just found this on the ASLA website:
    http://www.asla.org/land/2008/0617/latis.html

At the bottom of the page there is a link for you to download a PDF of this issue of LATIS (Landscape Architecture Techical Information Series). The document is free for ASLA members, and I believe $50 for non-members. I found it to be a pretty solid resource if you know very little about BIM (like myself).

One question I guess I have as far is BIM is concerned is how many people using it do a lot of custom work vs. spec-type work. At our firm we do lots of custom gates (iron and wood), custom carved limestone pieces, artwork, etc… And, the work is usually bid on by local craftsman (and can vary greatly in cost). Also, sometimes the work is not even attempted to be drawn by us in CAD, but instead just sketched out for the artist or craftsman who will be making it, since they are the experts. How does BIM handle things like this?

Ryland Fox
    Participant

I just got the ASLA document. 63 pages, I will read through it and see how it looks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register