Books or web image search?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anne Attinger
    Participant

You’ve got a signed contract in hand for a residence (remodel or new)… for your design ideation do you go to the web or your library of books?

mark foster
    Participant

Interesting question Anne,

During ideation, I tend to go to books first, and then web.  I go to web first and then books for illustrations/samples.

But, I am of a pre-web age, so I have collected lots of reference over the years.  I think you will find a real age divide on this question.

Matthew Anders, PLA
    Participant

It’s always good to have a published hard copy of references, it’s more credible. Much stuff on the web is proprietary.  However the web is good for pics and examples like Mark said.

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

Agreed… take-in the base plan and site photos, combine those with the clients program (in your minds eye) and meditate on it until you “see”… sometimes inspiration strikes immediately, sometimes it takes a bit of sketching… I rarely look at other peoples work for ideation, unless I’m really stuck. Even then, you have to take it in your own direction to the point that the connection is broken. Why do it if it’s been done before…? Plus you have the issue of Intellectual Property if you’re copying other peoples designs.

Wes Arola, RLA
    Participant

I often look at a library of photos that I have taken of others projects that I have categorized into albums. It really depends on the project and if an idea hasnt come to mind after giving it some time.

good question…

———->what are some image engines that are landscape architecture or design oriented that are usefull?

http://archlandscapes.com/ is a site a collegue of mine put together which has some thought provoking case studies!

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

Ideation?  Did you just coin a word?

I have a mental map of what is where, a bit of organized chaos.  I find chaos to be an often overlooked and under appreciated aspect of the design process.  So often we operate on well informed whims based on current flavors we enjoy tempered with the knowledge of what works from past experiences.  Do I go to books?  Yes.  Do I go to my digital library?  Yes.

Books for me are great for when I get stuck, and my digital library is great because I have it well organized by typology, so when I need to pull from something specific, I pull from there.

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

Awesome site! Thanks!

mark foster
    Participant

To Henry and Thomas’ points, I don’t look around much at ideation.  I do look for textures, materials, details, construction techniques–especially if it is in a heritage that I am rusty at, or unfamiliar with.  I like to kind of flood myself with the vernacular (much as Jon suggested), but I usually do it after the rough space planning/program is settled.

I do have a funny story about pictures– I had a client who loved Barragan and she wanted some elements of his style in her (somwhat small) courtyard.  The centerpiece was a water feature ala his.  When we turned it on, it had the most awefull sound– like water coming out of a hose into a really cheap bathtub.  I looked around to see my client standing in the doorway, she turned to me and said “Well, that doesn’t sound like the picture–does it?  Ha!

Mark Warriner
    Participant

Both, plus book stores.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

Ding!  Program to Site

… on buildings under construction or re-landscapes,somewhere along the way I have developed a habit where I pause the “ideation”(if I have a clue on what that means) between the time I start measuring details on the site and finish the existing conditions plan. Then I restart and move forward with a much deeper understanding of the site. I don’t know when I started that habit, but I noticed it about two years ago. I like the way it works out for me.

I don’t like to search for ideas directly for a project so much as drawing off of what I learned and continue to learn from studying other landscapes over the years. I’m not saying it is THE right way, but just one person’s way. Different people function differently and landscape design is richer for it.

David J. Chirico
    Participant

Here is an artist with some very creative work.  I wonder where he draws his inspiration…

He has a very interesting book on art in the landscape as well.

http://www.wgarysmith.com/design/

Tanya Olson
    Participant

Definitely lean more heavily on the books!

I haul a ton of design books with me to the client meeting and use them to help root out their tastes, likes, dislikes, maintenance interestes and capabilities, etc and often use the books to help describe the potential I see for the site based on their preferences – they get drawings too, but it really helps them to ‘see’ how we ‘see’… I use them to include the client in the ‘ideation’ process. A client who really understands the design and process behind it can really hold their own against the constant pressure of contractor change orders for materials, plants, etc.

This process helps us both see out of the box and keeps me from designing the same gardens over and over again, particularly in an area where climate and deer dictate use of a very limited plant palette.

Anne Attinger
    Participant

I was kinda thinking I’d see an age divide too…but I’m similar to you (maybe I’m older than I think?)…books first for sure, then web for specifics or details or just additional imagery.

Anne Attinger
    Participant

HA! that is funny!

Anne Attinger
    Participant

You know… I’ve caught myself doing that too! I’ve tried public libraries but they never seem to have the strongest set of design books like a book store.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register