burial at sea..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Trace One
    Participant

They  buried Osama Bin Laden’s body at sea..

Is that the right thing to do? Is that an appropriate subject for a design web site?

what have we done with other arch-villians..?

sorry, the sea burial just shocked me..

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

You believe that?  What, they took the helicopter over the ocean and tossed it out on the way home? It might be the right thing to do, but I’m skeptical that this happened in one day. It is a way to make where his body is a non-issue for all kinds of reasons.

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

I am a jaded skeptic on every level, the whole thing smells funny.

Anyway, I hope this means that we can just bring all the troops home now.

Rob Halpern
    Participant

“Arch-villains”???!!!

Is this Marvel Comics World?

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

The man is dead, and not without reason, and while I think it was reasonable and expected that this day would come, there is no possible way I can find it in me to cheer about it.

I don’t begrudge anyone what they feel, and I’m not criticizing anyone.  I’m just saying, in as simple terms as I can, that I just don’t feel it, nor like celebrating.

Trace One
    Participant

@Rob – aren’t memorials all sort of ‘marvel comics’ level design? or they can be..

and I agree with Mr. Quackenbush, it seems very weird to celebrate death….

and I also agree, I had to wonder about the burial at sea  story..

But how do we commemorate villains? Stalin was kept in a glass box in red square for years..Hitler seems memorialized in the holocaust museums and memorials at like Dachau..Also Yad Vashem..but that is of course, to the dead, not to Hitler..

I am sure Ghengiz Kahn has some monuments..The Oklahoma bomber, Terry McVeigh, was executed, and seems to be gone from the consciousness, after that..

weird thing to think about..I would think throwing Bin Laden in the sea would also give rise to his bones washing up everywhere, authentic or not..

Matthew Latham
    Participant

The burial at sea was absolutely the right thing to do. I thought it was so smart. The reason for doing so is because wherever Bin Laden would have been buried would have become a shrine and rallying point for other terrorists. Having him buried at sea makes it a little harder to have commemorative gatherings.

Nic Wurzbacher
    Participant

Obama is tanking in the polls and now “HE” got osama coincidence…………..I think not.

How naive do they think people are ?

Jon Quackenbush
    Participant

People are naive enough to think that electoral politics will solve their problems.

Trace One
    Participant

He’s not tanking in the polls..where did that idea come from? Bush spent five years at about 22%, Obama is  at 42 % and he is ‘tanking?”

what did they do with Sadam Hussein’s  body? If he is ‘buried at sea’ why wouldn’t one think his bones would wash ashore somewhere – bodies often wash up on shore..

oh well, another political thread I started about to go off the deep end..

sorry – I will try to restrain myself.!

I wanted the topic to be about memorials for bad guys – that seems like the design issue..

Chupacabra
    Participant

If the SEALs originated on a ship in the Indian Ocean then a burial at sea wouldn’t be too surprising.  That would be the standard procedure if they weren’t planning to save his body for something else (which is certainly possible).  Burial at sea includes measures to ensure you won’t come floating back up.

Chupacabra
    Participant

let me guess…you won’t belive it until you see the long form death certificate…the short form “certificate of death” doesn’t count!

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

I want pictures, movies, a head or at least a hand (w/DNA testing)… otherwise it’s just hearsay. While it makes sense to dump him in the ocean to avoid having a gathering location for terrorists, it also seems rather quick. Show us that you got him, then dump him in the sea.

As it sits now, the story is, “We got Bin Laden. We dumped him in the ocean. Trust us.” Sorry, but I haven’t believed a word from the Gov’t in a long time…

Rob Halpern
    Participant

Thomas,

Then why would you believe DNA “reports” or “Pictures” of a head or anything? In the end you will believe one thing or another and never have “proof.” Tough existential problem, eh?

Trace One
    Participant

wanted to talk about proper design of a memorial, or whatever,  for a bad guy, Russ..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register