CALL YOUR SENATOR TODAY!!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Patzke
    Participant

Really interesting and timely topic. I would love to get in on the discussion but the personal attacks and rancor are a bit much for me.

Gil Lopez
    Participant

Ditto, but im finding it harder and harder not to express my opinion. Maybe I’ll enlighten y’all later. LOL

Kevin J. Gaughan
    Participant

wow…talk about your heated debate!

Here a couple thoughts I have about the stimulus package:

1) I think one of the goals of this stimulus package (and this administration) is to help transition our economy from a commodity based economy to a service based economy. Clearly the last system was a ticking time bomb. Economists thought that the market could regulate itself, it did not. Government intervention was necessary…and this is the route they have taken. All though I am not a fan of all the points of it, I support it, because truthfully, that is what is most important (no matter what is proposed).

2) I think one big thing that is necessary is a change in the way we think. Somewhere alone the way, Americans obtained the idea that wealth (monetary wealth to be specific) brings happiness. I am not sure if anyone has read the Progress Paradox…but it does a pretty good job disproving that theory. Now I am not saying that money is not important, but the sole desire to make money for the sake of having money and things is a destructive desire. I think Wall Street gave us a good showing of that as well. We need to start investing in thing we believe in and truly want to see thrive, and stop investing in any little thing that we think we can make a quick buck on.

3) In regards to the stimulus package itself, I think spending lots of money on highways is not incredibly forward thinking. This could really have been a great opportunity for our country to bring its public transportation to the next level. However, I feel that public parks, museums, art centers and recreation centers are perfect ways to spend this money because these are things that citizens of this country can relate to. Through these kinds of projects we will able be able to experience the fruit of this stimulus first hand. It is hard to feel a connection to asphalt and be proud of the money spent…but it is easy to connect to a park, and understand how this not only helped the people who built it by creating jobs, but also helps everyone who gets to enjoy it day after day and year after year. Also, I think there needs to be a good mix of scales or projects. What’s good about a project such as resodding the mall is it can be contracted quickly which will start to make jobs quickly and will quickly be a sign to the hundreds of thousands of people who see the mall on a daily basis that things are happening. This country needs hope…and anything that can give even a sliver of that I think can go a long way.

“Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us” Romans 5:3-5a

David J. Chirico
    Participant

I am looking out for your interests Claudia. I wish you and everyone on here, republican, democrat, civil engineer or mormon all the success in the world. Concern for America right now is just more important at this point in time than concern for a specific profession. But again, discrediting people to make a point, does not make your point.

This is another good read:

http://www.cato.org/

nca
    Participant

Thanks Kevin.

I think we all need to step back and consider the issue, especially with regard to the purpose of this website. Regardless of background, everyone has a right to share their opinion. It would be in the best interest of everyone involved to respond appropriately and in a professional manner.

nca
    Participant

I think you’re right here Andrew, but I don’t think we should just be complascent. I would be concerned that Coburns amendment is painting a complex picture with a broad brush. Euphemisms aside, it is still our job to at least attempt responsible land planning. Whether it’s done green, red, or pink it creates jobs. In the meantime, why not encourage smart development? I just don’t see the difference in spending on a new stretch of highway vs. light rail station (which probably encompasses some type of ‘beautification,’ under Coburns amendment).

Also, I think it’s up to debate at this point whether or not those old real estate market projection models were actually accurate given national foreclosure rates, etc.

Quite honestly, the discussion is getting muddied by the off-topic remarks and quips, so I’m not even sure we’re discussing the same issue.

Claudia Chalfa
    Participant

I’m sorry, Andrew, I didn’t mean to make it personal. I just get a little frustrated sometimes because I think many people out there who are not landscape architects do not understand what we do and why it is important. I can’t talk about this right now because I have to leave on a class trip, but when I get back next week we can discuss this more, and I promise to be nice.

nca
    Participant

I accept you Andrew.

David J. Chirico
    Participant

Easy now, Claudia is talking about me Andrew. I haven’t sat for my exam yet so I can’t call myself a landscape architect.

But I don’t know if I’m more offended that she apologized to you or that she thought I was you….just kidding!

Claudia Chalfa
    Participant

I meant to apologize to David, not Andrew. I had two kids crawling all over me and was trying to run out the door to catch a van and go to a three day charrette for a class trip. So, I typed in the wrong name.

So now it looks like I really do need to apologize to Andrew…Sorry, Andrew!

Claudia Chalfa
    Participant

See above David! 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register