Can You Write Good?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Alec Johnson, PLA
    Participant

I am launching Contour Magazine (web-only for now) on February 1, 2010.
    Looking for good writers with a unique voice and an unhealthy passion for all things landscape architecture/design.
    Still need 2 more regular contributors to round out the roster.
    These positions are unpaid but will be great exposure for you and yours.
    Drop me a line at contour@carbonproductions.net if interested.

Alec Johnson, PLA
    Participant

Glad to be getting a lot of responses.
    I will post my final 2 choices this Wednesday, Jan. 13.

Eric Papetti
    Participant

*Ahem* I can write *well*…… 🙂

Claudia Chalfa
    Participant

I thought it, thanks for being the one to say it, Eric 🙂

Alec Johnson, PLA
    Participant

OK. I know that “good” is not the proper adverb for this action.
    Claudia and Eric, I am sure you both write well 😉
    I guess I was subtly trying to give away the fact that the magazine will not take itself too seriously (as many design publications tend to do).
    As I describe on the site, “We promise not too take ourselves too seriously. The work – yes, ourselves – no.”

nca
    Participant

Alec,

It sounds like a good project. I’ll be interested to see how it materializes. I like the tongue-in-cheek humor..looking forward to more of this. We could all use a little ‘loosening up’ I think.

Alec Johnson, PLA
    Participant

I’m actually not looking for advice on how to run my magazine.
    Just looking for contributors.
    I will assume you are not interested.

nca
    Participant

NR and Alec-

I see your point and think it’s valid, but I also think humor can be an effective way to detach from a topic we might find ourselves so close to. I think an intellectually stimulating, yet accessible, and most importantly, objective publication written from the point of view of active practitioners and those on the cutting edge of the land design profession could be a good addition.

Doug Prouty
    Participant

Alec I’d be interested. Do you have any examples of articles so that I can get an idea of what you are looking for? If so, email me at dprouty@hotmail.com

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

… ARE a whole different arguement. …not that I don’t live in a glass house. I just could not resist.

Alec Johnson, PLA
    Participant

Grammar is important.
    Humor is necessary.
    Ideas are critical.
    Action is inevitable…

Doug Prouty
    Participant

Grammar is good as long as spell check can find it!
    Humor is subjective as it’s sure to tick someone off!
    Ideas are easy to come by in this day and age of debate and sarcasm
    Action depends on if the piece sturs someone up enough to do something… or justs sends them back to the couch to watch Dr. Phil.
    I’ll follow your directions and will send you an email!

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

Having had one English class in my freshman year does not make me an English scholar, which makes correcting the corrector irresistible. It is also irresistible for you to trap me as a pay back. I appreciate that. I’ll respond so as to not deny you the opportunity.

I’m going to suggest that the actual subject of the sentences, all three of them, is missing. The implied subject is “discussion” making them all broken sentences. That would also make “is” the correct verb which would have made your original sentence correct if it actually had a subject. Again, I’m not well educated in English so I really don’t know.

One of the reasons that I write on message boards is to improve writing skills, or lack thereof. Grammar and spelling are part of it, but finding and correcting how people respond to how I word things is my biggest challenge.

Apologies to Alec for straying, but hopefully the entertainment is worth it.

Trace One
    Participant

Alec, I may be interested. I love to write, and love LA, lots of opinions..I also have a really boring gov. job that would afford me time to do articles..I worked as a reporter in the eighties, this year I wrote an article for the company rag on a garden our office designed, an article for my alma mater alumni rag, and presented a paper at the 2009 CELA conference on landscape design..(that was fun.) Humour is good – can’t have too much of it, in my opinion..You can also probably read my numerous scribblings on this site, forum stuff..

good luck, either way, good idea – we need to have more LA publications, not less..

Richard Longman
    Participant

Humor and sarcasm are easy but ..it takes a good writer for satire.

Is this where you’re going with the new web-site Alec?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register