Changes to the LARE exam coming 2012- all computerized and only 4 sections…

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Changes to the LARE exam coming 2012- all computerized and only 4 sections…

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Jordan Lockman
    Participant

It was not a secret that changes were coming. We did not know the details, but it should not be a surprise. It is frustrating for people that want to start taking the tests now, since all that you can safely take is A and B.

Well transitions are tough, I remember when all the colleges in my area were going from quarters to semesters. That was a much larger mess. People were given fractions of credits and it really burned people that left and came back to school or transfered. So this is minor compared to that situation. 

Jordan Lockman
    Participant

I empathize with your situation. I started taking the tests right after my now three year old was born. It is difficult to carve out study time. I found myself only being able to work on problems during my lunch break.

Miles Barnard
    Participant

School prepares you for the parts of the exam that test you on things you will never use as a professional.  Your first jobs will prepare you for all the parts of the exam that test you on being a good LA.  That’s a gross generalization but I think not far from reality.

Amy Kobe
    Participant

Jordan, There won’t be a drafting program. Instead, candidates will be required to provide solutions by answering questions about the vignettes presented on the screen in front of them. The questions will involve selecting the correct solutions, just as a drafting a solution would do.

Jordan Lockman
    Participant

I am not sure that the current graders are paid? I am pretty sure that most of that is done by volunteers. The current system is expensive however. I am not sure how this will be any cheaper. I only see things getting more expensive, but that is life it is not progress unless it costs more. 

Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

if graders are not paid, where does all the money go???

this has gotten totally fubared!

follow the money trail….$3k ? are you kidding me?

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

I’ve often wondered that mysefl with coincil record money…and having to pay AGAIN every time you have them transmit the info. Does it really cost that much to keep a few k worth of electronic files on  a PC? I know there are overhead costs, but geez. Thats is what is keeping me from getting a counil record. I’ll pay for the record storage, or transmission costs, but not both!

Alan Ray, RLA
    Participant

Jason, smells like another scam on the backs of our fellows……indeed how much could it cost to maintain electronic files? does the phone company still charge for touchtone?

When I took the then called “UNE” under the clarb direction, it was a four day ordeal that cost a few hundred for the whole exam. If you failed a section, you could retake it in six months….if you failed any section three times, they made you retake trhe entire exam…back in the good old  seventies…..

Karen M. Cesare
    Participant

Changes, especially taking something as complex as the LARE, and updating it, are difficult. In the transition there are definitely people who are going to be impacted. However, if you are one of those people I hope you put the goal of registration first for yourself and press forward. My understanding is if you aren’t able to pass a section of the test with two more opportunities, you would still be taking another test – if that test happens to have content that you already passed, then consider that it should be easier for you and help with your score.  The timing issue is tougher for some than others, but having served on the Arizona State Board of Technical Registration I saw first hand the struggles the architects had. More time to make a change does not equal fewer conflicts – it just drags out the transition longer.

I sympathize especially with the young working mothers – I had a two month old when I took the second part of the test for the first time (many years ago – hand drawn construction details!) Back then they only offered the test once a year – so it was either take it or wait a year….not only was I glad I did it (did not pass that time) and it was hard mentally and physically, but years later it’s a badge of honor.

Lola N
    Participant

I just can’t see failure as a badge of honor like you do — maybe if it was free….?  I really wonder how much the exam cost back when you took it (and how much hotels cost in Arizona).  To go on minimal sleep and frayed nerves with a new baby, I would be wasting:

$380 exam

$75 reg fee

$150 minimum for a San Francisco hotel room

$100 gas round-trip

Grand Total: $ 705

More transition time DOES make sense.

Lola N
    Participant

Sorry, Karen — that was kind of snarky!  I apologize.  It’s just so expensive that it’s extremely stressful, especially being out of work this long.  I really want to become licensed!  I planned this pregnancy knowing I had time to take E in late 2012.  Now, I’ll be restudying for D when I’m going to be incredibly busy, AND paying for it again, but apparently even more this time. 

That said, I look forward to the computerized stuff.  I won’t have to spend money on the whole San Francisco business and can do it nearby?  Fantastic!  The speed of one’s hand drafting won’t affect whether we pass or fail, since the timeframe is the biggest challenge?  Great!  I just wish there weren’t so many cons to the transition….  Sigh.  I just can’t spend the money on failure when I’m going to be peeing every twenty minutes, getting leg cramps while sitting there, risking a migraine (which are increasingly common now that I’m pregnant, and I can’t take ANYTHING for them), etc. 

A godawful pickle, and all I wanted was to be licensed.  Willing to spend tons of time and money.  Just not willing to RE-spend the time and money.  Bleah

Sousuke
    Participant

Ironically, it looks like Clarb decided to take down their discussion page on the LARE changes….

Maybe all the complaints were creating too much negative publicity. 

Dotty Daly
    Participant

I was just on there, maybe they were replying to the posts. I just commented on the statistics they posted about completing each sections, I find it hard to believe that the average number of times it takes to pass E is less then 2. How many people do each of you know that took at least 3 attempts, 4 attempts and more?? C, yes, maybe, One fail because you werent sure what to expect but E….

Amy Kobe
    Participant

I don’t think anything’s been taken down. What discussion page are you unable to locate?

Sousuke
    Participant

They changed the security setting i realized. I cannot see the discussion page unless I’m logged in to facebook. It used to be that you could still read it without being logged in and only see first names.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register