Changes to the LARE exam coming 2012- all computerized and only 4 sections…

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Changes to the LARE exam coming 2012- all computerized and only 4 sections…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    MLCC
    Participant

Douglas,

You’re probably (I hope !!) right. But at this point, if you’re not and I am right, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprsied – I wouldn’t put anything past CLARB at this point. I honestly thought their business practice could not get any worse. They have definitely proved me wrong on that one.

You’re right, someone who has only yet to pass section D is going to get the ultimate screw on this deal. But those of us who have only one graphic section to pass will get screwed the second-worst. hahahahaha…… I have to laugh, or I’ll cry. 😉

MLCC
    Participant

bz girl your last sentence says it all!!

MLCC
    Participant

Marc,

I don’t think it’s up to you to tell poeple which sections are easy and which are not, based on your personal knowledge and experience. Some people are good at grading.. some are good at details and section D…. some good at programming etc…. some might judge you for having to take both graphic sections twice. So don’t judge. And by the way, many people “know their stuff” and don’t pass. Not sure if you were aware of that.

Dotty Daly
    Participant

People really have to stop posting that CLARB is out to get them. Seriously, we have no idea how difficult it must be to prepare an exam that tests candidates who have different educational experiences, work experiences etc (including 2 countries) as a comprehensive exam that represents the field. In addition, professional exams arent supposed to be taken without preparation/time investments. Part of expanding your professional experience is learning things that you havent been exposed to.Learning takes time. There are those few that happen to be exposed to the right things and these exams may be easy. But all of the sections will provide a struggle for someone.

On top of it, these things cost money. I think that if you choose to get registered you should expect to have to invest into it, you are investing in your future. Be it books that become reference materials, classes that expand your knowledge or even the red lines, which requires a 3rd party to mark the exam and a proctor to sit in the room, its money folks.

Getting frustrated hopefully motivates you to put more time into preparing the next round or reaching out and seeing how others approach things you struggle with BUT if you spend the time blaming CLARB instead, you shouldnt be pursuing this. Its ridiculous. I posted this to share it and open up a useful conversation not to start the blame it on CLARB conversation. Be professional.

Dotty Daly
    Participant

It states on the site that individual situations can be evaluated.

Sousuke
    Participant

Personally I don’t think Clarb is out to get anyone. However if you choose to invest in registration then your passing scores should not be erased….otherwise its not much of an investment in my opinion.

Hopefully Clarb will listen to the flaws that have been outlined regarding the transition and make adjustments. I’m glad you posted it here to draw people’s attention to the problem.

Also I didn’t see where they will look into individual’s situations. All I saw was “CLARB staff is also ready to assist candidates through the transition process and to help them develop a plan for completing the exams and obtaining initial licensure prior to the transition. Please don’t hesitate to contact CLARB.

mauiBob
    Participant

Soon to be grads don’t need to be taking the exam. Period. Worry about getting a job first, then keeping it for more than 2 years. What’s with our “microwave” thinking society? Not everything is instant results. Learn about site planning, construction detailing and project management before taking the exam. I believe this is why there is such a huge failure rate. People take it way way too early.

mauiBob
    Participant

Andrew,

CLARB is smart, but not smart enough! So they won’t use it. You see the latest Apple earnings post? You were right, why am I working? My Apple, Netflix, eBay, Las Vegas Sands, Valero energy, Ford and Sirius radio stocks going through the roof. Level 3 Comm and Alcoa will soon follow.

“…Apple is expected to roll out a new iPhone, which is likely to give the world’s most valuable technology company. Based on a price of $400, Apple would have a market capitalization of $369.90 billion, putting it close to Exxon Mobil, the largest company in the Standard & Poor’s 500 index, which has a $411.97 billion market value..” Exxon and Apple are 1 & 2…nobody else comes close, not even Wal-mart, GM or McDs.

http://news.yahoo.com/apple-smashes-street-views-shares-soar-014420…

MLCC
    Participant

Dotty,

Not spot on, you are actually 100% utterly missing the point. Read the posts here again. 

Nobody is arguing about having to take the tests, or the cost of the tests in the first place. We all understand that we have a professional degree that requires licensure to get ahead.

The valid complaint here is that people could very potentially be losing credit for exams for which they have already passed, and already paid for.. and therefore will have to yet again study for and pass these exams, and pay an even higher amount for them. That’s plain wrong, and I really question the mindset of people who think that it’s not. You should stand up for yourself more.

Dotty Daly
    Participant

I dont agree that I am missing the point, I think that over and over again people ARE arguing about the costs of the tests and the time investment in studying. There are valid concerns about people losing credit for exams they are taking, I am definately not arguing that. If you go back to old posts, the whole idea of CLARB out to get the candidates is everywhere.

As Sousuke said, hopefully CLARB can see that people have concerns about the transition, concerns about losing credit and they can be prepared to deal with those issues. My response was just that as we discuss those, dont get onto the blame CLARB for always being wrong bandwagon. We end up looking like whiny babies.

Glad to see this discussion. CLARB has posted information as well as ASLA (see this week’s LAND). If you are in the process of finishing up classes, there are several great Prep Classes across the country, and also one offered at the ASLA Annual Meeting. In Northern California Ray Freeman offers classes and in southern California we offer classes at UCLA Extension (next weekend, still time to sign up!  http://tinyurl.com/LAREUCLA).

The new test will still test the same knowledge and skills needed to be a licensed landscape architect, just in a different manner. When CLARB went to computerized testing of the multiple choice there was concern and CLARB and the member licensing boards all worked together.

As Dotty has emphasized, this change is to create a better exam. Hope you all are following CLARB on facebook and it is great to see the questions and thoughts on this forum.

Jordan Lockman
    Participant

Yes and if you are really upset, volunteer and help CLARB get better. They are taking a lot of our money for these tests, but they are protecting the profession.

Jordan Lockman
    Participant

Transitions are difficult, but I am glad to see the tests be streamlined and made more inline with the current profession. I think that there are people that were failing the tests because they are not proficient in hand drafting skills. Which we do not need to be professionally, so it is funny to test us on that. Now I am sure the new complaint will be how bad the drafting program is from prometric.

Jason T. Radice
    Participant

NCARB just went through this with the architects. You had to register and/or finish by a certain date, or you had to take it over again. Thats the way it is…there are deadlines, and if you want the license, you must get it before the changes or prepare to take a section or two again. CLARB cannot drag this thing on forever or it defeats the purpose, but I do wish they gave it another year for transition…you know…fair warning. Or split the system for the first few years. If you started taking the old exam, you have a year or so to finish them. If you haven’t taken any exam, you must take the new ones. Period.

Dotty Daly
    Participant

You do have a year, its not until 2012. Two more chances to take C & E and 2 for A, B & D.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register