Colleges, degrees, and career planning questions

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Colleges, degrees, and career planning questions

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mary Fagan
    Participant

I am researching for my daughter who is interested in a college major in Landscape Architecture, and prefers to stay on the east coast. Generally, which type of Bachelor’s degree is most employable? Are there additional credentials or minors that add particular value for employers? The job market discussions posted here are daunting, and make me wonder how much to spend or borrow for a program well-ranked by DI. Would it make sense to take a scholarship at Rutgers as an in-state student rather than pay $30-$50K/yr for U of Georgia or Cornell? Is a MLA important for better salary in the short term or long term, or initial or long term job prospects? Do grad programs care where undergrad work took place, or is admission based on portfolio and/or other factors? Do students self-pay for grad school, or are there fellowships/grants? Are any related fields in more demand these days? What kind of volunteering could she do now?

Finally, if anyone is willing to briefly state their east coast college’s or grad school’s strengths or philosophy, that would be a great help. Daughter is also interested in horticulture and environmental protection. Thanks so much for any guidance you can share!

Brian Hochstein
    Participant

Great idea looking for answers here. I can’t help much with the East Coast factor. I am a graduate of Kansas State. I did work in Washington DC for a short time and become familiar with Penn State and Virginia Tech’s programs. I thought both were very solid. Each school is going to have something they are strongest at. For instance, K-State is strong on the construction and technology side. Other schools focus more on theory or conceptual design.

My personal opinion is that there is no difference between the bachelor degree and masters unless you already have a undergraduate degree. The masters degree seems to be a tool to allow schools to charge more and keep students a little bit longer. Again that is my opinion. But my firm does not differentiate between a masters w/o a bachelor undergraduate degree and a bachelor degree when it comes to hiring, pay scale, etc. as far as I understand it. I also don’t think it is necessary to go out of state. I have heard solid things about Rutgers but am not that familiar with the program.

When it comes to volunteering there are lots of opportunities. Anything to do with trees, landscaping, gardening, construction or design. Try to find a local working landscape architect and see if she can spend some time checking out what they do.

Keep looking and talk to everybody you can. It does look daunting now and it is certainly not for everyone. You have to love it and even then, you are tied closely to the economy. Of course all of this is opinion, hopefully more of the my east coast brethren respond. Good luck and if you have additional questions fire away.

nca
    Participant

I pretty much agree with Brian, though I do know of some firms that DO differentiate in terms of pay scalein regard to whether the candidate holds a bachelors or masters. One thing I think that is true across the boards is the portfolio work will in most cases out shine where your degree is from. Most entry levels enter firms on the “production” end, so to have well-honed skills in photoshop, autocad, and hand drawing, etc is essential.

Miles Barnard
    Participant

Mary, Good questions. I think I would agree with the other replys that it’s most important to have a bachelors degree in landscape architecture. I think the only time a masters is helpful is when it’s on top of an undergrad degree in LA or in conjunction with something like an architecture degree. I also agree that the particular school isn’t really that important. Just be sure that the school has a program accredited by the American Society of Landscape Architects (which Rutgers does, I just checked). If you can get in state tuition to an accredited program I would not even consider placing higher value on another program out of state. I’m a huge believer in the value of a school being a product of the student and the effort he or she puts into it, not the reputation of the institution. If I were hiring someone right now I would be looking at the following in order of importance: Degree in Landscape Architecture, Computer skills, personality, plant knowledge, construction knowledge, creativity, graphic talent. I don’t really care what school a potentiasl employee went to if the criteria I just listed are met. She will get some horticulure at whatever program she attends, but I would suggest that taking as much in the horticulture department as possible would make her more employable. And working summers in the landscape contracting industry is a huge help. One of the most important jobs that Landscape Architects do is producing documents that tell contractors how to put things together. Having the hands-on experience of seeing things go together, seeing paving get installed, plants get planted is a HUGE advantage to being a good LA.

Greg
    Participant

In general people choose to earn a masters degree (MLA) for three reasons:
    1. By far the most common reason is that people decide they want to pursue a career in landscape architecture AFTER they started or already completed a bachelors degree. It sounds like your daughter is still in high school, and if she knows that she wants to study landscape architecture then going for a bachelors degree isn’t a bad idea.
    2. As a post-professional degree (meaning they already went to a landscape architecture undegrad program) If someone has a BLA/BSLA from a program that focuses on a spicific niche of landscape architecture (lets say more of a horticultural focus), and they want to do urban design work, for example, they could get an MLA II from a program with an urban design focus. Don’t worry about this for know, as many undegrad programs allow for students to follow their interests.
    3. To teach. If you look at the faculty at most landscape architecture programs (or architecture, for that matter), most of the faculty posses a masters degree. Again, an undergrad degree will by no means hurt, but if teaching is in her future an MLA is practically a requirement.

Rutgers is an excellent school, and don’t put too much faith in the DI rankings. University of Pennsylvania’s graduate programs (MArch & MLA) are all but missing from their lists, and Cooper Union’s excellent (and free) BArch program has never been ranked! As long as her degree is accredited it is more her skills than where a diploma is from that matters.

Mary Fagan
    Participant

Is there a difference between a BS and BLA degree? Are they valued differently by employers? What non-landscape architecture majors are good for application to master’s programs? Wondering about architecture, vs. studio art, vs. plant sciences, or something else? If hiring is based on portfolio and entry jobs are typically in production areas, programs that emphasize design training sound more employable than those that emphasize strong science background. I also wonder how important sustainability is to real world clients…unless you can prove an economic upside. Maybe my daughter should look into Environmental Planning too (though who knows what that job market is like!). Thanks again for all of your very helpful advice.

Brian Hochstein
    Participant

My personal opinion is that design training in conjunction with construction techniques is the most critical component of a good education. I have learned almost everything else on the side or out of interest. She will most likely get a well rounded exposure to everything necessary and then will probably gravitate to some specific area of Landscape Architecture that she enjoys. I don’t believe there is a real difference in a BS vs. a BLA. Once again, portfolio and resume will rule all. As long as it is an accredited program she will be fine. If she is interested in doing an undergrad in preperation for a future Masters of Landscape Architecture I would recommend she choose something that she would want to focus on as a part of her future degree. For example, if she wants to heavy on the plants, native species side, she should get a horticulture degree. If she wants to work for government then maybe a community development/planning degree. And so on. But if she wants to be a Landscape Architect she should just get her bachelor’s in that.

I am currently applying to start my Masters of Community Development. From experience, I am glad I got my 5 year Bachelor’s out of the way first. Now later in my life I can kind of pick at getting my masters done without having to put in the huge number of hours. This is just my personal experience.

Environmental/Sustainability is closely tied to the economy. However, I don’t see this being a the case in the future. Through law/necessity I believe the enviro/sustain community will become an ever larger business fixture especially as our populations grow and energy needs fail to mee demand.

Chad Crutcher
    Participant

As Brian notes, an illuminated approach to researching the subject; Kudos to Mom!

All priors are solid “hard” advice.

Allow me to add this “soft” note…be sure your daughter remains true to her values, interests and talents. Evaluate each program in terms of its support and nurturing of your daughter’s innate instincts and passions. All the technical skill and credentials will not sustain an unhappy creative spirit. Keep your eyes on the prize and the skills needed to attain it will be sought and learned along the way. Her dedication driven commitment to her purpose will make her eminently employable.

Above all else, it is this kind of soul I look for when interviewing job candidates. These are the ones who generally, through motivation, have extracted the most from their educational experience. They’re also the ones who end up at the top firms.

Another point to ease concerns…for each 5 professional landscape architects retiring these days there is but 1 graduate from an accredited program to take their places. In spite of the recession, there will be no shortage of positions in the long run.

Good Luck to you and your daughter.
    Chad
    Do well doing good.

Mary Fagan
    Participant

Thanks to all for your generous sharing of information about your career, and excellent advice too. I know from this that my daughter will be surrounded by good people when she joins this profession! Good luck to you all.

Kris Reed
    Participant

If you are interested look into the State University of New York Environmental Science and Forestry School at Syracuse University. Abbreviated it is S.U.N.Y. E.S.F. at Syracuse University. It is a top rated college and if you are a New York State resident the tuition is very reasonable, may be very reasonable even if you are not. Also your diploma is issued through Syracuse University. I would have to say don’t bother with the Masters Degree. Once you are in the field and get your license that is all that really matters. In my experience there is not much difference, if any, when first getting a job.

Must know CADD, your plants, and how things are built. Field experience is highly recommended. You would be amazed at the students who have no experience and when asked how they are going to build something they have designed they have no idea. They don’t understand the connection between design and actually building what they have designed. A drawing may look great but if it can’t be built it is no good.

JeanMarie Hartman
    Participant

Mary,

Students often form a strong personal reponse to campus and program. I recommend you visit the colleges that your daughter is interested in. Try to schedule your visit when you can get a tour of the campus, an overview of the school, and an interview with someone in the department. It is common to have students visit with their parents once or twice if the school is nearby.

I can say a lot of good things about Rutgers…and, since I am the Department Chair of Landscape Architecture at Rugers, I have a particular interest in recruiting promising students. Please come see for yourself.

You might consider coming to Cook Campus on April 25 since there is a campus open house that day. http://agfieldday.rutgers.edu/

JeanMarie Hartman

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register