Communication

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Cliff See
    Participant

Jason:
    I have had to realize a concerted effort to abridge my implementation of vocabulary in order to facilitate comprehension amongst colleagues. I am oft dumbfounded to the fundamental level that some vocally articulate or inscribe language whilst employed in a professional venue. One contemplates how said persons managed to matriculate and procure a professional degree.”

William F. Buckley couldn’t have said it better himself..!
    :))

Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

If the objective of writing is popularity, then nothing will be gained by your pleasant prose. Readers will walk away feeling quite good about themselves and the world, no better off than before they read your piece. It is often those who are unsettled by writing that have the most to gain from it but they choose not to internalize it, process it, preferring instead to hide behind disapproving labels slung at the author.

Writing has many different forms such as text message, e-mail, business letter, newspaper article, magazine article, etc. Each one has a different format, a different voice and a different degree of refinement. Text messages and e-mails, our most frequent mode of communication, are often written quickly, are curt in tone and are most vulnerable to misinterpretation.

Andrew Garulay, RLA
    Participant

My biggest concern in writing, from a professional standpoint is not to piss people off either intentionally, or unintentionally. Clarity is the next biggest concern.

My “professional” writing is pretty well limited to emails and proposals. Both of these often involve a lot of description of “how” or “why”. I’m not concerned with being poetic or demonstrating the extent of my limited vocabulary, but I an very concerned with being misunderstood.

Discussion forums like this one are a great place to learn what is not communicated well or not understood well. We get feedback here. A lot of that feedback is not sugar coated, so it is pretty easy to find out that we write in a confusing manner or an abrasive manner based on the reactions we get.

I think Tom hit the main point. That is misinterpretation.

Misinterpretation is sometimes caused by the writer and not so much as the reader even though the reader makes that mistake. If it happens often, then the writer should practice ways to avoid misinterpretation. That is a big benefit in participating on a forum like this. This is especially true for people who get abrasive reactions or find people not understanding their points.

Practice, listen to the responses, adjust, rinse and repeat.

Rob Halpern
    Participant
    Thomas J. Johnson
    Participant

LOL! Love The Onion!

Thank you for some much needed comedic relief!

Anonymous
    Inactive

The importance of written forms of communication are often overlooked in relation to Landscape Architecture.
    I would also agree that within discussion boards like this one it is easy to convey a more antagonistic tone than intended.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register