Considering a graduate program at University of Copenhagen & seeking advice.

Landscape Architecture for Landscape Architects Forums EDUCATION Considering a graduate program at University of Copenhagen & seeking advice.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    George Surovov
    Participant

Hi,
    I am considering getting my masters abroad and was wondering if anyone had feedback. The program is instructed in English, and it’s a 2 year program. I would focus in urban design.

Does anyone have experience with studying or working abroad?

For the last three years I have been a project manager for a small firm in New York City.
    My undergraduate background is in Business management, with a bit of marketing and advertising specialties. I’ve pursued accreditation certificats and continuing education in horticulture, design, building science, permaculture, & biomimcry . I am comfortable in a sales role and can deal with difficult clients and/or situations. I also hold experience sorting legal issues regarding landmark status, or building guidelines. My research and organization skills are comprehensive.I am a beginner in Vectorworks 3D modeling progam, certainly need to focus attention here.

But I must say I enjoy design and build phases equally and am excited to be engrossed in a thesis project!  While reading an excellent article published by the SSI earlier this year, and it mentioned developing a skill set in hard science. Perhaps the that is another question. Are any programs available US or abroad that offer a mix of disciplines, which includes hard science? 

Thank You!

Mike Mitchell
    Participant

If you’d like some insight into that particular program a former classmate of mine went to the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts for his masters degree (I believe in Landscape Architecture). He is a Danish citizen and could give you some good insight into the program and his personal experience. Cheers.

George Surovov
    Participant

thanks henry. I will certainly consider it…
    I think I am more drawn to the sustainability in urban environments, as it draws upon more science

http://www1.ccny.cuny.edu/prospective/sustainability/program.cfm

George Surovov
    Participant

mike, thanks for responding. that would be great if you could put me in contact with your friend ( ofcourse if he is willing to shed some light)

George Surovov
    Participant

In London? No i haven’t researched that..I guess I always just consider London to be too expensive to live. But I will check out the program none the less

George Surovov
    Participant

Yes yes, i think the program of instruction is in Danish though. I’ll look into it.

George Surovov
    Participant

http://www.life.ku.dk/English/education/msc_programmes/msc_programmes_life/landscape_archi.aspx

henry for the KU program i can apply to take one semester at the royal academy, so there seems to be some synergy between the two programs. can you put me in touch with your contact? maybe they can advise one over the other.

thanks!

Theodore Thwing
    Participant

Funny, I am looking into MLA program in Copenhagen as well as place to study abroad for a semester while completing graduate credits for a MLA at Penn State. They do have an exchange program as well as a visiting student program. I am not sure whether I will be able to do this with all the MLA requirements here at Penn State… but I will let you know if it works out. Ideally I would go in the summer. The program looks great but if you are not from the EU, the tuition fees may be steep.

George Surovov
    Participant

Right on Theodore!..Yes I was trying to start February 2011 for the spring semester but was told non-EU students can only begin in September. maybe not the case for you though if its only one exchange semester. After a lot of research & some instinct, I will be attending the university next year. I had pre-approved my application this past summer. Currently I am focused on getting a permit to live or work there before attending school. Let me know how it goes, and hopefully see you out there!

Maria Joana Sinde
    Participant

What kind of program do you want to enroll in? I have studied Landscape Architecture in Copenhagen University, Life Sciences. If it is exchange you in theory could go in february (though it is quite late already to meet deadlines).
    If it is full degree, you can only start in AUGUST, and there is possiblity to take the full degree (2 yrs) in english. Then you also have the possibility to take a semester at school of Fine Arts. The degree program is quite flexible, as there is 1-2 mandatory classes, some you have to choose from a list, and you can also take some courses outside your field of study .
    Please note that in the danish system, there is quite long deadlines to meet (up to an 1 before start), specially outside Europe. They do this to ensure that all the foreigner students have the necessary permits, visas, eventual scholarships and all the required paperwork before school starts.
    However, if you are applying in good time, they will help you getting all the necessary information, counselling in where to look for a house to stay and so on, so you will be ready to start school when you come.
    But try to contact the international students office, they will help you for sure…

Hope you can find all the information you need, if you have more questions just write me back…

George Surovov
    Participant

Hi Maria,

I have already enrolled and have been pre-approved for admission to the full degree for the Masters in Landscape Architecture, Life Sciences. All I have to do is send payment and the paperwork process will begin.

Are you satisfied with your experience and degree from KU? or was it just an exchange semester?
    When did you graduate ? and what type of employment do you currently hold? add me as a friend and we can chat a bit more as I have a few more questions.

Thanks for your reply
    George

George Surovov
    Participant

hey theodore, did you end up going to Copenhagen or still considering?

i am enrolled in the 2 yr program there, moving in June and I can’t wait!

Greg Burwood
    Participant

Hi Maria

That MLA at Copenhagen looks good!

Would probably be looking at the Urban Design specialization but don’t want to be tied up in Copenhagen full time as I have a small business in the Netherlands- read somewhere that the course is made up of short intensive blocks of study- 2 x 6 weeks or so = 1 term? with lots of own study time in between- is this true?

Do you have your old timetable? If I could get an idea of how much of the week you had to be there physically and how many weeks of the year, and when the breaks were (roughly) that would be a great help. What I’m trying to get at is would I be able to take work ‘home’ with me? or do you have to be there 24/7 to get through it?

I suppose 2nd year you had more ‘free’ time than 1st?

Would be great to hear some constructive criticism of the course, tutors, facilities etc- has it made a difference to you professionally, is it recognized internationally etc?

George- may see you there- what finally convinced you decide to pick this one?

Greg Burwood
    Participant

bump, um anyone?

Emily Lowery
    Participant

Hi, I just realized that you posted this awhile ago, but I’ll respond anyway. I looked at getting an MLA abroad as well…it’s a fantastic opportunities, but there are some cultural differences that need to be looked at before going into it. When I say “cultural differences,”  I’m talking about how the school/classes are run. I looked into a two year MLA program at the Edinburgh College of Art, and found out a couple of things. First of all, in the US, it’s a bit easier to work and go to school, but many EU based programs are shorter and more intense and don’t make allowances for work. Second, just because you’re a student abroad, doesn’t mean you can work abroad…it depends on the country and if you’re American, the work visa is a challenge…Lastly, you’ve probably looked into this but University of Wageningen is more hard science focused. They’ve been doing some of the modeling for cities facing rising waters as a result of climate change. Either way, I’m an American and I just recently got an EU passport. I’ve lived and worked abroad before I received my EU passport, so I know how it is on both ends. If you’ve already made your decision, I hope it’s working out well!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register